How to stop algae from growing in my duck waters?

I didn't want to piggy back your post with similar issues so I started a new thread. :) Seems like an on going issue with no real fix for the problem, just deal with it ! LOL

I have a 5 gallon water jug for my dog. While the base will detach from the jug, the jug's opening has a very small diameter, which makes it very difficult to clean. I need a very large, very long bottle brush to scrub it with soap and water.

However, what I did until I found the magic brush, was swish coarse salt and white vinegar around in the jug. I didn't need much- the salt acted as an abrasive, and the vinegar sanitized and deodorized. Sliminess and smell was gone.
Pretty low-effort for every time I changed the water. Just rinse well to make sure no salt and vinegar sticks around. This will also work well for detachable, small PVC chicken waterers (like I have).

Thanks! I have a male and a female welsh harlequin, River and Iris. What's her name? I will definitely let you know if I find something better! I used a hummingbird feeder brush lol :gig. It actually worked pretty good because you could bend it but I'd like something longer and a tougher brush.
Her name was Gingersnap. She passed away a few years ago from aspergillosis - verified by veterinary necropsy. She was quite the duck. I can't bring myself to change the photo. I still have her adopted sister Pigweed. Gingersnap was obsessed with Pigweed. They must have been the two color variants as Gingersnap had lots of red flecks and Pigweed is very white.

Attachments

• 67051F59-A9C9-4A52-BB81-8AD31BE907AE.jpeg
    67051F59-A9C9-4A52-BB81-8AD31BE907AE.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom