How To Take Better Photos Of Your Chickens

Perfect, thank you for explaining, it makes total sense! I think film is really cool and maybe someday will get back to shooting some. My roommates dad gave me his camera for my class in college so I should really put it to use. I was a biology major sneaking into a Mass Comm class haha. This post is great and will help out a lot of people I think!

One thing I think you could add to your post might be about... perspective? I see a lot of people take pictures of their birds from above. You get a much more pleasing to the eye photo when you get down to their level most times. I think that's a big place to start, then put all the other principles you wrote about into play. Not that you can't get a great photo from above, or below, don't get me wrong! In general, I'd say the pictures are most pleasing when you are at, or near their level. Example below (though I do feel I broke a few other of the general photo "rules" with this one):
View attachment 2347861

Oh, and focus on their eyes, it usually makes for a more pleasing photo also, I'm really bad at that and always end up with in focus noses on my dog photos, example below. I think it would have a been a better photo if her eyes had been in focus.

View attachment 2347853

Sorry, I'll stop now, I'm not trying to hijack your post. I just enjoy talking photography and don't get to do it very often!
Not hijacking at all!!! I made this a thread for additional input!!!

I agree about the focus!!! Dogs are difficult and the nose often grabs the focus.When I’m first taking photos of dogs I try really hard to make sure my aperture is enough where the depth of field can capture focus for the nose and eyes. Then I’ll adjust once I know the dog is calm a d ready to work with.

and I love the perspective comments. Absolutely, you’ve got to get on their level. It changes everything!!!❤️❤️❤️❤️

Either Tennessee has an identical bridge/levee as my town, or you've been here? This really caught me off guard haha.
Well pictures were taken in MN so I've been there I believe!! I was up there visiting my friends. It is gorgeous!!

WP_20190702_19_54_36_Pro.jpg

WP_20190702_19_37_50_Pro.jpg

I still have my 35mm & Advantix film cameras, I think. I just don’t have a clue where to buy film or get them developed. I still have undeveloped film that’s close to 15-20 yes old by now. Is it still okay to be developed?

Not hijacking at all!!! I made this a thread for additional input!!!

I agree about the focus!!! Dogs are difficult and the nose often grabs the focus.When I’m first taking photos of dogs I try really hard to make sure my aperture is enough where the depth of field can capture focus for the nose and eyes. Then I’ll adjust once I know the dog is calm a d ready to work with.

and I love the perspective comments. Absolutely, you’ve got to get on their level. It changes everything!!!❤❤❤❤

I struggle with remembering not to just open up my aperture all the way and leave it. I'm always so paranoid about light that's often how I leave it. I really need to get back out there and play around! Love this thread, well done!

A BLRW roo?? *Swoon*:love

Yes, I used to have some really gorgeous/quality birds I lucked into. They were hatched out of Foley birds that someone bought, so not Foley breeding, but from Foley breeding. I sadly only have a few left since I don't have a good set-up at my house for breeding, and other than one hen, not even the best of what I had. I wish I had better space because these lines are going to die out without me being able to really produce any more. Such is life I guess :hit

Yes, I used to have some really gorgeous/quality birds I lucked into. They were hatched out of Foley birds that someone bought, so not Foley breeding, but from Foley breeding. I sadly only have a few left since I don't have a good set-up at my house for breeding, and other than one hen, not even the best of what I had. I wish I had better space because these lines are going to die out without me being able to really produce any more. Such is life I guess :hit
Awe, that is such a bummer! I would love to have a rooster to breed my 3 blrw hens, though they are just hatchery quality and really not blue. I just think it would be fun. Maybe you can sell some hatching eggs? Any friends around with chickens that want to work on a project? I guess they wouldn't even need chickens to begin with.

I still have my 35mm & Advantix film cameras, I think. I just don’t have a clue where to buy film or get them developed. I still have undeveloped film that’s close to 15-20 yes old by now. Is it still okay to be developed?
Yes you can! You may have to mail it off, and, it will be returned to you digitally.

you can buy film but it’s getting more and more rare.
I went and took my chicks and their mother outside and took some pictures of them.View attachment 2348340View attachment 2348339View attachment 2348338View attachment 2348337
Love it and I love the babies!!! 🥰🥰🥰

Back
Top Bottom