How to teach a turkey to walk again

fergyc2l2t316

Songster
7 Years
Jun 22, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Has anyone had a turkey that walked then became sick and couldn't walk but now is much better but needs and wants to walk again but can't? Mine was really ill and has a bad case of bumblefoot which is finally going down and he wants to be with his girl and the chickens but has no strength to stand up. I don't know what to do to strengthen his legs to get him back up and running again. I have him in a sling where he can touch the ground with his feet but he won't put weight on his legs except for once. Does anyone have any ideas for this. I really would like to have my bedroom back (lol) and have him back with his flock playing birdzilla.

I rehabilitated a chicken once with a broken hip. She spent many hours in a sling and it took a while for her to start walking again. I would keep up what you are doing, you may need to poke him a bit and move his legs for him.

How old is he? And what breed?

So he's not fully grown yet and he's a heritage variety. I would just keep working with him to encourage him to move. Putting food out of his reach can help encourage him to try to walk.

I have one turkey similar to yours a few years ago, same age and just couldn't walk one day. We butchered ours because we didn't have means to keep him separated and he refused to try anything but sit in his own poop.

I would give yours a month or two, if you don't see improvements in that time, he might not get better.

Back
Top Bottom