How to tell a ROO at an early age

ok....Thanks!
wink.png

I'll post a picture:

Stan the Man at 4 weeks with bread in his beak with one of his sisters giving chase.

57171_100_1691.jpg

Note his comb is larger and has more color.

I've been using the tail feather method. Females grow their tail feathers in quicker. So if you have 10 chicks: 6 with nice long tails and 4 without, then most likely those 4 are roosters. So far it has worked for me.

All of the "tells" work better when you're comparing birds of the same breed. Things like stature, comb changes, growth rates, and coloration differences are all more obvious with a larger group. If you're getting a mixed flock with only one or a few of each breed, it will be a whole lot more difficult to pick out the roos. If you also add in the mutt factor ("breeds" that are actually mixes) it can get even harder.

For example, my Easter Egger cockerel grew his tail the same as the EE pullets did. The tell on him was an early-pinking comb and red splotches on his back. My Speckled Sussex pullet had no tail for ages, pinked her comb and grew wattles at 4 weeks, and has a TON of iridescence in her black. All of those things are considered roo signs and since she was the only SS, I was very worried. But she's all girl after all.

OH, and then there are the old wives' tales... things like how they hold their legs if you pick them up by the neck. Those are about 50% accurate.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom