How to tell if a hen is laying eggs?

Randy17

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 4, 2007
Oil City, Pa
I have 20 hens and I am only getting about 7 eggs a day. They range from 1-4 yes old. Is there anyway to figure out what ones are laying eggs? I need to thin out the flock before winter.

T-R

Check the hens combs and if they are a dark red then they are laying. But if they are a light pail red then they are not. plus if you have the room you could isolate the hens to their self and see which is laying and which is not. good luck!

I would also check thier pelvis bones. Feel on thier rear ends, and if you can feel three prominent bones close toghether, they are not laying yet. If those bones have separated, then they will lay soon.
Good luck!
goodpost.gif

If a hen has a pale comb, is he done laying forever? Cause I have a speckled Sussex who isn't even a year old with a pale comb, and she isn't laying!
No, she is not done forever I don't think. She probably has not started laying. She might be just taking time to build up body reseves before she starts laying.
smile.png

Ok, we are not absolutely positive she has started laying, but I really think she has? I will go and feel her pelvic bones, but what about the others? Only 2 are laying, and we have 6.

If hens quit laying for a time, as when moulting, do their combs lighten in color?
TR in AR
Any time a hen is under stress her face will loose its rosy color and her comb will atropine to some degree. There is little that stresses a hen more than going through the annual molt.

A hens' face and her comb is a window into her health and thus into her reproductive status.

Back
Top Bottom