How to tell if an egg is good....

Does it matter if you use cold water or warm water? I just went out & found 40 eggs & I thought that we only had 5-6 girls laying. We've got 9 more girls that should be close to start laying but I didn't think they were ready yet. We've been steadily getting 4 eggs per day out of the nesting boxes but this afternoon we saw one of the girls sneak in under the coop  through a storage door that had been left open so we looked under there to find a big pile of eggs. We retrieved all of them, brought them in & filled the sink up with plain tap water & not a single one floated. I'm just a little apprehensive here! Any suggestions? Thanks!

I've done the same thing, found a nest with a hoarde of eggs. I didn't even think about the water test so I just cracked each egg in a seperate dish prior to dumping into the frying pan. 9 were good, the other 2 were sketchy. Eggs will stay good for days outside (in my case, 9 or 10 days), by nature they have to. A mama hen won't sit full-time until she decides she has enough eggs under her; this could take more than a week if she has to lay them all by herself. Also, the cool night temperatures act like a natural fridge.

sinks....if it floats the air sac has grown due to evaporation....I think
hide.gif

Does it matter if you use cold water or warm water? I just went out & found 40 eggs & I thought that we only had 5-6 girls laying. We've got 9 more girls that should be close to start laying but I didn't think they were ready yet. We've been steadily getting 4 eggs per day out of the nesting boxes but this afternoon we saw one of the girls sneak in under the coop through a storage door that had been left open so we looked under there to find a big pile of eggs. We retrieved all of them, brought them in & filled the sink up with plain tap water & not a single one floated. I'm just a little apprehensive here! Any suggestions? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom