How to tell if an egg is good....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jen4, May 6, 2009.

1. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    I forgot is it ....
    A egg is good if it sinks or floats?

2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    sinks....if it floats the air sac has grown due to evaporation....I think [​IMG]

3. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Thanks.... they eggs sunk so their good to eat [​IMG]

4. Big Chicken Little

Big Chicken Little Chillin' With My Peeps

Sinks

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Sinks its good!!! just remember the air sack it's easy.

AL

6. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    [​IMG] Thanks everybody...

7. ChicoChickens

ChicoChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    Chico, CA
    I am so glad you asked this because I was just wondering about some eggs today and wasn't sure how to tell if they were still ok. [​IMG]

8. bigscottk

bigscottk Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2012
    Does it matter if you use cold water or warm water? I just went out & found 40 eggs & I thought that we only had 5-6 girls laying. We've got 9 more girls that should be close to start laying but I didn't think they were ready yet. We've been steadily getting 4 eggs per day out of the nesting boxes but this afternoon we saw one of the girls sneak in under the coop through a storage door that had been left open so we looked under there to find a big pile of eggs. We retrieved all of them, brought them in & filled the sink up with plain tap water & not a single one floated. I'm just a little apprehensive here! Any suggestions? Thanks!

9. Phoenixxx

Phoenixxx Chillin' With My Peeps

I've done the same thing, found a nest with a hoarde of eggs. I didn't even think about the water test so I just cracked each egg in a seperate dish prior to dumping into the frying pan. 9 were good, the other 2 were sketchy. Eggs will stay good for days outside (in my case, 9 or 10 days), by nature they have to. A mama hen won't sit full-time until she decides she has enough eggs under her; this could take more than a week if she has to lay them all by herself. Also, the cool night temperatures act like a natural fridge.

1 person likes this.
  10. leellac

leellac New Egg

Jan 19, 2013
    How did you know they were good by cracking them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by