How to tell if an egg is good....

sinks....if it floats the air sac has grown due to evaporation....I think
hide.gif

Does it matter if you use cold water or warm water? I just went out & found 40 eggs & I thought that we only had 5-6 girls laying. We've got 9 more girls that should be close to start laying but I didn't think they were ready yet. We've been steadily getting 4 eggs per day out of the nesting boxes but this afternoon we saw one of the girls sneak in under the coop through a storage door that had been left open so we looked under there to find a big pile of eggs. We retrieved all of them, brought them in & filled the sink up with plain tap water & not a single one floated. I'm just a little apprehensive here! Any suggestions? Thanks!

Does it matter if you use cold water or warm water? I just went out & found 40 eggs & I thought that we only had 5-6 girls laying. We've got 9 more girls that should be close to start laying but I didn't think they were ready yet. We've been steadily getting 4 eggs per day out of the nesting boxes but this afternoon we saw one of the girls sneak in under the coop  through a storage door that had been left open so we looked under there to find a big pile of eggs. We retrieved all of them, brought them in & filled the sink up with plain tap water & not a single one floated. I'm just a little apprehensive here! Any suggestions? Thanks!

I've done the same thing, found a nest with a hoarde of eggs. I didn't even think about the water test so I just cracked each egg in a seperate dish prior to dumping into the frying pan. 9 were good, the other 2 were sketchy. Eggs will stay good for days outside (in my case, 9 or 10 days), by nature they have to. A mama hen won't sit full-time until she decides she has enough eggs under her; this could take more than a week if she has to lay them all by herself. Also, the cool night temperatures act like a natural fridge.

Back
Top Bottom