How to tell male or female. UPDATE with pics.

Jennyhaschicks

Songster
11 Years
May 3, 2008
Maine
Please forgive me. This is my first geese ever so I am new. I don't even know what breed of geese I have. I have two little cuties who were hatched in the beginning of April. Is there anyway I can tell their sex or do I need to just wait to see if one starts laying? At what age do they usually start to lay eggs.
Thanks

DSC01834.jpg

DSC01835.jpg

Last edited:
sorry, i asked what breed and you said you didn't know, lol. can you post pictures at all? or describe what they look like. did you get them from a feed store or somewhere else?

I could tell my male & female White Chinese apart by size at 1 month old, Owen is finally starting to get his "dinosaur voice" lol.

Last edited:
I can post pics tomorrow. I will have to take some.
big_smile.png
One is a gray with a white undercarriage. The wings are a darker brown almost black. The other one is a white with sort of gray specs on the tips of the tail feathers as well as the wings. I am guessing that doesn't narrow it down much. lol The white one is more vocal and seems to look out for the darker one. The white one will also honk at times. This one will always be in the lead when the walk. I don't know if any of that can mean male of female but I thought I would throw that out.

My female is protective over her 'mate' and all the ducklings (the geese are only 2 months old). the gander has always been a little lazy lump, lol. but she is obviously smaller than him and he has a much higher pitched voice and is more vocal.

we will probably be able to tell better with pictures
smile.png

haha all this time we have been calling the white one a boy. He
wink.png
is named T Rex and the other one we have been calling a girl. Her
wink.png
name is Smokey. Maybe we are wrong. Let me see if I have some pics on my camera in here. If not I will have to post pics tomorrow. I am getting anxious to find out what we have.
lol.png

It sounds like you are describing pilgrims. Pilgrim males will be white with some dark on their wingtips; pilgrim females will be grey with lighter (sometimes white) bellies, and variable amounts of white on the head.

ark-prod-american_pilgrim_goose.jpg

Last edited:
My white one looks more like that breed. My darker one doesn't have any white on the face at all and has a dark beak. I don't know if that can make the darker one still a Pilgrim or not?
smile.png

I don't even know if the could be a mixed breed. I got them at a local auction. (after have to butter my husband up!)
wink.png
But momma got her geese.

eta the white one has blue eyes.

Last edited:
White goose sounds like a male pilgrim or a crossbred embden. White on the wingtips/tail tends to mean a crossbred or a young pilgrim male. Blue eyes are typical in embdens and male pilgrims. A black beak in an adult goose is typical of brown chinese and brown africans, both of which look like this, although the africans are heavier:

2920808_d6c712b91c.jpg

PS: females will not have that large "knob" on that gander's beak.

Last edited:
I am headed out to take pics really soon. I am very interested in what I actually have. I tried to get by without knowing but I am way too curious.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom