How to tell RIR Roosters from Pullets

gkeesling

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Hagerstown, IN
I had 7 RIR packing peanuts come with my 12 Barr Rock pullets when they were shipped from Ideal. They must have been from straight run as some are roosters and some are pullets. They are 12 weeks old now. My problem is how can I tell for sure which ones are the pullets? I thought I could tell by their combs as the roosters would have bigger combs. Two, I know are roosters as they have larger red combs and are crowing. But, one that I thought was a pullet was trying to crow this morning. Is there a sure fire way to tell which ones are roosters? I am going to cull the roosters away before they start laying and want to be sure I get all of them.

my roos had much thicker legs and bigger feet, also they seemed to stand a little taller. There is something with the feathering but Im not sure how to describe it, Im sure someone will jump in here with that.

I would give advice but I recently killed a rooster I was sure was a hen...I am such a failure
hit.gif
...but I'm gonna eat good!
celebrate.gif

Look underneath the hackle and saddle feathers. On males, the new hackle and saddle feathers coming in beneath the chick feathers will be pointed. They should be starting to come in at 12 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom