How to tell which one are the layers??

Jenneh85

Songster
8 Years
Jun 12, 2015
Phoenix
ya.gif

Today I found my 4th egg in 2 days, Yesterday we found 2 which are side by side, and today I found the 4th after my husband found the first. I cannot tell by looking at them who is laying, I have 2 buffs 1 barred rock, 1 RIR.

I know my ameraucana's aren't laying because those would be blue.

Any guesses on who might be the layers?
hu.gif

I truly doubt Egglington could be laying after she got sick a few months back, she is still smaller and her waddles havent come in as much as her flock mate Buffy.

Here are the eggs
yesss.gif

These two found yesterday

This one a few @4:43pm today

The two eggs we found today are matching in the same color and size as the ones found yesterday, I am curious on WHO these little layers are so I can give them some shrimp skins
clap.gif

A couple of things to consider -
1) are you certain that the Ameraucanas you have are true Ameraucana and not Easter Eggers (commonly sold as Ameraucana - particularly when sourcing birds from commercial hatcheries)? This is key as an EE *may* produce blue/green eggs, but can also lay shades of brown and many folks are disappointed when the "Ameraucana" they got presents them with a non-colorful egg.
2) how old are each of the birds you have listed?
3) who has recently shown a change in the size, color and texture of their comb/wattles?
4) who has recently begun performing a "submissive squat"?

If you can take photos of your birds and post them we may be able to help you assess their production status.
http://www.premier1supplies.com/img/newsletter/02-27-14-poultry/Evaluating_egg_laying_hens.pdf

All of my gals are 6 1/2 months old,

One buff orpington (Buffy) has larger red waddles and comb an same as my Barred Rock (Rocky).

My ameraucana don't have waddles and their comes are flush with their faces an are kinda pinkish , and they have green feet. Roo is bigger then Cheeky and I posted pictures a few months back because I thought she was a rooster, but she wasn't.

I personally don't see any of them doing the submissive squat, I seem then dust bathe every so often and kick up dirt, they have 3 favorite spots they like doing that in.

To tell which ones are laying just put a little bit of food coloring around the vent before you put them in at night and do different colors for each chicken and bam you'll know who I'd laying

My chickens use to love being held for the most part now they just run away except for 3. I heard that chickens that are about to lay will make a loud clucking until the egg is laid.

They don’t cluck until the egg is laid. Some, not all, hens will sing the egg song after the egg is laid.

It can be a bit challenging to tell which hens are laying. There are several different signs they might be laying, but might doesn’t mean they actually are.

Normally the comb and wattles turn pretty dark red when they are laying or getting close to laying. Any with pink comb and wattles are unlikely to be laying.

Hens that laying or about to lay will have large moist vents. Again, that does not mean for sure she is laying, but she is probably getting close. If the vent is small and dry, she is not laying. So it’s easier to tell which ones are not laying rather than the ones that are.

Tomorrow I will go out and take early morning pictures of the ladies and post them here. I know one hen lays in the morning and the other lays probably between 2-4 pm.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Some of mine will do the egg song or get very vocal when getting ready to lay before entering the nest.
Course some do the song and make a racket and even get in and out of the nest without laying an egg.

The only way to know for sure who is laying what is to sit out in the coop for hours/days and wait and watch.
Gel food coloring can work and you can apply it after they go to roost at night, much easier to 'catch' them then.

I've found that especially for new layers checking the pelvic point spacing is the most accurate.

Signs of onset of lay.
Squatting:
If you touch their back they will hunker down on the ground, then shake their tail feathers when they get back up.
This shows they are sexually mature and egg laying is close at hand.

Combs and Wattles:
Plump, shiny red - usually means laying.
Shriveled, dryish looking and pale - usually means not laying.
Tho I have found that the combs and wattles can look full and red one minute then pale back out the next due to exertion or excitement, can drive ya nuts when waiting for a pullet to lay!

2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

ep.gif

I have officially found out who started laying eggs, I pet my chickens today and out of all of them one did a squat and that was my "runt" Rocky my barred rock. I heard some ruckus going on in the coop and caught Digger my road island red getting comfy in the nesting area, so I decided to start waiting for her to come out of the coop and she laid exactly at 4:43 pm I just dont know what time Rocky lays at.
ya.gif

I cannot wait to find out if my Ameraucana's are true or EE's. One looks like a true Ameraucana an the other looks like a EE... Hard to tell they are all the same age so they should be starting to lay any day now.

wee.gif

I'm so HAPPY!!!
yesss.gif

Back
Top Bottom