How to to turn pellets into crumbles?

I'd just leave the pellets in the bag and beat them up with a 2 x4 or something.

I have the opposite problem - I'll make a separate post so as not to run over your thread.
smile.png

Quote:
That's what I said too.

Only the form is different

When they make pellets, (milled grain extruded with a binder) some get broken, and some get powdered.

It's all basically just grain

Perhaps you misunderstood me. Mash isn't powdered pellets. It is just milled grain without any further processing.

Quote:
We get our feed from the local organic feed mill, custom mixed and delivered in bulk. They don't even have a pellet mill. Pelletizing is unnecessary and just adds to the cost.

Most organic feeds are sold as mash. I don't know if that has to do with the binders that would be involved in the pelleting process or not.

Well, I can't say that mine ends up being crumbles that could be stored but they certainly eat it more. I just put a little water in mine and let it sit for a while. Of course I only wet however much I'm going to feed that day. You'll have to play around with it a little bit to find out the right ratio of water to pellets and what consistency you're wanting. My hens gobble it up. In winter I pour warn water on the pellets to help warm them up in the early mornings since it can get bone chilling over here .
Hope this helped.

Mash isn't powdered pellets. It is just milled grain without any further processing

It can also include the screenings from the pelleting process. since pellets are "milled grain" too.

The form doesn't change the general composition, although "organic" may not have binders added.

We get our feed from the local organic feed mill, custom mixed and delivered in bulk. They don't even have a pellet mill. Pelletizing is unnecessary and just adds to the cost.

I'm talking about the common commercial production that the majority use

In the end, it's all just chicken feed anyway

LOL​

Most of this thread is off topic.

My delivery guy is actually the mill owner; he runs a small facility which can only produce a few lines of grains commercially as well as custom mixes. Having said that,

I can only get pelleted grain, no crumble from that mill. I pay $4-5 LESS per bag than at dealers. Hence My question was how to turn pellets into crumbles, as some of my babies are not ready to eat pellets. If you have ideas of suggestions on how to break pellets, large quantities, into crumbles, that would be very helpful. Thank you.

Arielle, you may want to get a meat grinder, the one that is screw fed. An electric one with a hopper may be able to process a large quantity.

Just a thought.

Quote:
Mash is milled grains in the un-pelletized form. This photo shows mash on the left. It is a complete ration of milled grains, vitamins, and minerals, but not pelletized. That's all we feed here.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OjExqXO8no0/TG7DsSkjN3I/AAAAAAAAALQ/ztYnARfgN5k/s320/100_44781.jpg

Thank you, more people should do a little more research before posting BS! Mash is mash, crumbles are crumbles and pellets are pellets. Each a complete ration, NOT a by-product of another form.

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif

If only it was that easy!!!!

ChickenAl

Arielle, you may want to get a meat grinder, the one that is screw fed. An electric one with a hopper may be able to process a large quantity.

Just a thought.

Worth looking into as I have 3 hand grinders; just need to put on the right screen. Great idea.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom