How to train ducks not to attack and bite

My drake has been doing the same thing. He doesnt really bite just hit the back of my leg or grabs the pant leg. I picked him up and carried him around for awhile and it worked for a couple of days, but he's back to doing it. If I turn around and lokk at him he will run away. Crazy Sammy! He is a fawn runner. Gusee we will have to mount him too. Sounds crazy but usually the crazy things work.

Wow! I had never seen this post, till it was bumped up. One of my duckling hens keeps biting me (Some would think ducklings kisses, but my other ducklings does that, this one grabs my skin and pulls as hard as she can). I have been holding her beak gently between my fingers, and softly shaking it yelling "NO!". It didn't work at first, but then today I went out to see them, and she just gives me kisses now.
smile.png

ETA: SOOO glad I won't have to "Mount" her... We have neighbors that are always spying on us, into our backyard!
lol.png

Last edited:
This is really helpful. I have an unruly drake that keeps biting me and my partner. I usually have to carry a broom around to keep him away. His bite really hurts. So i will have to try mounting him. I have run out of options. I have also been told a mirror or teddy bear for him to mount in his enclosure may help.

In the past when I've had this problem I was able to nip it by just picking the offender up and walking around with him for a while. Mind I always caught it in the teenage stage so the bite wasn't painful just annoying. Just me picking the little bady up was enough to cool off the temper. I have never failed to cure this issue. Time and patience. Good luck.

Awesome. I always pick him up and kiss him and cuddle him any way, he doesn't get a choice. lol ... But he is getting better with affection, he just sits there now. He doesn't bite me when I amk holding him. Thanks.
smile.png

I was having the same problem with my 2 drakes ganging up and nipping me and my daughter. I wish someone had told me about mounting, would have saved us from so many "duck hickies". I will have to try that the next time they feel like nipping. lol

I'm so glad someone finally talked about their female duck being ornery. I had a pekin female about 5 years ago and mallards, males and females and have never been bitten, just nibbled. I have recently got another pekin female, since I had to leave my others in Texas when I moved, and I got her when she was 5 days old. at first she only nibbled but now when she sits in her favorite spot on my shoulder she grabs ahold of my neck and if feels like she is pinching and twisting it hard. It really hurts and she leaves red marks after. I thought at first she was just playing with my necklace and just missed it like she used too. but when she started getting higher and higher it was obvious she wasn't. I really love her and she follows me everywhere I go and I can't even leave her sight without her throwing a fit!! She even goes after your eyes now also, when your not expecting it. you can just be holding her and all of the sudden she stretches that neck up and boom she just got you, she was on my shoulder, while I was watching tv, facing forward and all of the sudden she just pecked my eye and took my contact out. I was not happy.
somad.gif
It really hurt too. she is a week and a half old and I really don't know what I should do since none of my other ducks were like this. I know she really likes me and I feel she is aggravating the piss out of me on purpose. and if it didn't hurt it wouldn't be an issue but she also does it to everyone else now. I know some will say, don't let her sit on your shoulder then, but that is her favorite spot and that is not the only time she does it. I had her in my hands by my stomach/chest area and she stretched her neck and grabbed ahold of mine, owwwwww! Does the same principle apply to the female duck as does the males? the need to know who is alpha by holding them down and mounting them? but it sounds like your talking about much older ducks and like I said she is only 1 week old. Any help would be greatly appreciated
bow.gif
I'm in new territory here.

I'm so glad someone finally talked about their female duck being ornery. I had a pekin female about 5 years ago and mallards, males and females and have never been bitten, just nibbled. I have recently got another pekin female, since I had to leave my others in Texas when I moved, and I got her when she was 5 days old. at first she only nibbled but now when she sits in her favorite spot on my shoulder she grabs ahold of my neck and if feels like she is pinching and twisting it hard. It really hurts and she leaves red marks after. I thought at first she was just playing with my necklace and just missed it like she used too. but when she started getting higher and higher it was obvious she wasn't. I really love her and she follows me everywhere I go and I can't even leave her sight without her throwing a fit!! She even goes after your eyes now also, when your not expecting it. you can just be holding her and all of the sudden she stretches that neck up and boom she just got you, she was on my shoulder, while I was watching tv, facing forward and all of the sudden she just pecked my eye and took my contact out. I was not happy.
somad.gif
It really hurt too. she is a week and a half old and I really don't know what I should do since none of my other ducks were like this. I know she really likes me and I feel she is aggravating the piss out of me on purpose. and if it didn't hurt it wouldn't be an issue but she also does it to everyone else now. I know some will say, don't let her sit on your shoulder then, but that is her favorite spot and that is not the only time she does it. I had her in my hands by my stomach/chest area and she stretched her neck and grabbed ahold of mine, owwwwww! Does the same principle apply to the female duck as does the males? the need to know who is alpha by holding them down and mounting them? but it sounds like your talking about much older ducks and like I said she is only 1 week old. Any help would be greatly appreciated
bow.gif
I'm in new territory here.
I wouldn't be that assertive with a week old duckling. But if she is sitting on your shoulder nipping you in the eye and pulling out your contact something is wrong with this picture, I'd put her in her box[brooder] when she does things like that. If this was a small child you wouldn't let it get away with poking you in the eye[would you] I hope not, I would probably get time out do the same with your duckling. I'll tell you something else though being an only duck gives the wrong idea on who they are, believe me I know, although I have quite a few ducks we had to hand raise a ducking a couple years ago because his mama didn't want him, All of our duckling till this one had been raised by their mamas so this was new to us, Oh boy did we love that lil duckling but he turned into a monster and of course had to be a drake on top of it. Once he got old enough where hormones kicked in I had to teach him he was not going to bite, mount and act the fool around me, It took time but it worked. Same with your duckling since she's so lil you can't be rough with her but you can show her that her aggression isn't acceptable by putting her in time out when she starts to get hateful, listen if you can get her a another duckling it will be the best thing you could do for her so she'll know she is a duck and how to act like a duck. Mounting them when old enough to handle it is just like another duck getting them and pinning them down I see my ducks do it to each other.
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom