How to transition 10 month old chickens from crumbles to layer pellets?

No treats, feed them the pellets. Leave them out and nothing else - they WILL eat them before they starve to death. Definitely do not mix scratch with their food. I wouldn’t bother with the mash either; they are barnyard animals and they don’t need to be spoiled. You’re teaching them to expect treats instead of food, that’s why they won’t eat the pellets. Do you really want to make mash everyday?

No treats, feed them the pellets. Leave them out and nothing else - they WILL eat them before they starve to death. Definitely do not mix scratch with their food. I wouldn’t bother with the mash either; they are barnyard animals and they don’t need to be spoiled. You’re teaching them to expect treats instead of food, that’s why they won’t eat the pellets. Do you really want to make mash everyday?
Exactly. What if you go on vacation, or, God forbid, the hospital, and somebody else needs to take care of them? They need to be able to eat dry feed from a feeder. Why can't they stay on crumbles?

Wow. I enjoy giving them mash every day. I guess it’s an individual thing. To each his own.
You’re not understanding the point.... read the above post - this means you have to do it everyday which is a personal choice and more power to you. But it’s not realistic for everyday - people go on vacation, get sick. The last thing you need is a bunch of codependent chickens who can’t even eat without you preparing them a special meal? So yes, it’s an individual thing - but most individuals have busy lives and this is unrealistic.

Yes, you are correct. I used to run a day care. I’m older now, and I enjoy my flock ( which seems very similar to running a day care!, lol). I may not give mash every day, and my birds would do fine. I just suggested mash to the OP to kick start their birds to eat their food. By no means am I suggesting that this is a long term thing. I just enjoy it.

I would just mix it. They will eat when they get hungry even if it's not what they want.

No treats, feed them the pellets. Leave them out and nothing else - they WILL eat them before they starve to death. ... they are barnyard animals and they don’t need to be spoiled.

This.

Any time I've transitioned food I mixed the last feeder's worth of the original 50-50 with the new food. When the old food was gone there was only the new food.

They ate it.

Chickens are omnivores; their instinct is to eat anything and everything. "Pickiness" is an unnecessary anthropomorphism purely in owners' minds.

It may take them a few days to get accustomed to something new and they will always prefer treats like scratch grain, but no healthy chicken will starve itself in the presence of food.

That's what we do, too. Mix the new with the old. Sometimes we can get only pellets, sometimes only crumbles. Our birds have learned to eat what they get, and to like it. I tell them what I tell my (formerly) fussy eater at my dinner table. Of course you have a choice! You can eat it or don't! Lol!

Back
Top Bottom