How to transport a young turkey?

eggcited2

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Illinois
I am hoping to go look at the young 4-5 month old hen tomorrow. If she looks good, I want to bring her home. It will be about 1 1/2 hour drive.

How should I transport her? I don't have a regular poultry or game bird cage.

I do have a heavy cardboard box, 23 inches long by 14 inches wide and 13 1/2 tall. It has a lid that goes on. It has two holes at the top of the box for your hands to go into to carry the box. Would that be ok to put her in? Are those two holes enough or add more? Tie her legs/feet and lay her in it or leave them free and put her in? I didn't know if maybe the dark (box with lid on) would help calm her while traveling/transporting.

I wouldn''t tie her, just put down hay or shavings and tie or tape the lid down. Is she riding in the car or in the back of a truck? If in a car with A?c then she would be fine, outside I would try and find a dog crate to use.

x2 on the dog crate, when it gets cooler outside I transport them in the pickup bed, I just flip the dog crate upside down where the holes dont catch as much wind then I fill up the bottom with hay. Of course I also removed the wire door for a wood one, works great. I have also transported them in cardboard boxes though, they are tough animals, she should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom