How to transport chickens

I am planning to transport 4 chickens this year so how big of a crate do i need
How far do you have to travel?
What's the climate?

Because chickens do not wear seatbelts inside the crate, they sometimes do better with only a little bit of space, because then they don't slide as far if the driver has to stop or turn suddenly.
Best if crate is on flat surface, accelerate/decelerate/turn slowly.
I found they hunkered down during those times, once on the highway they stood up.

In addition to the great advice above, when I get my first birds, probably 4 started chicks (I'm still building the coop and run) is there anything additional I need to do in bringing them home from the farm store or breeder?

In addition to the great advice above, when I get my first birds, probably 4 started chicks (I'm still building the coop and run) is there anything additional I need to do in bringing them home from the farm store or breeder?

Health. Check. Before you leave the lot or pay for them.
Check eyes, nares, feet, under the wings for bugs, etc. Make sure they're walking normal, etc.

Make sure your brooder is up to temp for chicks and holding steady. Make sure your waterer and feeder are ready and your chick feed is fresh.

Consider using electrolytes in the water for the first day to get them off to a good start.

Back
Top Bottom