How to treat an egg-bound hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Beeblossom, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Beeblossom

Beeblossom New Egg

Jan 9, 2010
    In the last several months, I have lost 2 chix from being egg bound. The first time the egg was partially out and I ended up breaking the egg after using oil to lubricate. She was dead by morning.
    This last time, last week, I came across a hen that was sitting and not foraging and pecking like the rest of the hens outside. After inspection, I could see and feel a hard egg but this time it was inside. Took her over to a chicken-person friend and we used a small syringe and inserted mineral oil and rubbed her with vaseline and massaged the area and the egg trying to relax her enough to expel the egg. Finally we broke the end of the egg a little and then with tweezer were able to pull the egg out--it actually popped out. I thought this time she might survive. She also was dead in the morning.
    I want to know what I can do to prevent this from happening again!!! Interestingly, both of these hens were at the bottom of the pecking order...stress contributed?
    Any help on the cause and what can be done to prevent this and treat more effectively would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by