How to treat chicken in severe shock after possum attack

Sorry that your sweet little hen wasn't improving. If you made the decision to euthanize her, you obviously didn't make the decision or carry it out lightly.

Sometimes, no matter how much or how hard we wish, try & pray, we cannot change an outcome. It is at those times that we owe it to our pets to make the most awful decision to end their suffering. It's the least we can do for them & in my view, we owe them a good life. Watching over her as you tried to nurse her back to health was the right decision, until you realized that she likely wasn't going to be able to get back to health.

Just because it was the right decision, done the right way, at the right time doesn't make it suck less. She's free, safe & scratching around with LOTS of new friends now. Some of her new friends graced your fellow BYC keepers' flocks, mine included. My darlings were AWESOME, so she's in wonderful company. (I am biased, every Chicken Mom & Dad probably thinks that their babies are the best...and everyone is right!!)

And people wonder why I kill opossums roaming my property.

Hope your little hen feels better soon. For whatever it's worth, I agree with starting the antibiotic asap. I'm hopeful that you will see improvement shortly.
Just had a possum grab 3 of my baby chicks last night.. ugggh! Ate right through the wire. They are ruthless! Opossums are really bad here. Hoping the 3 chicks i have left will recover from all the shock. What a mess I woke up to at 4a.m

Back
Top Bottom