How to treat mites with DE?

greenmulberry

Songster
14 Years
Jul 17, 2007
Iowa
Howdy all, let me join the ranks of chicken owners who have come to realize the their hens have mites. Sigh.

I have DE, (the good stuff from permaguard) but I am not sure how to use it to rid the birds of mites.

I went and added a few scoops to the coop bedding, and about just under a quarter cup to each nest box.

I caught my two very friendly hens, and patted DE on their bottoms where it seems the mites hand out.

Today, I will be giving them a dusting pan of DE and wood ash. They do not have an official dusting pan, just wherever they feel like dusting in the run, otherwise, I know they have some dust holes out free ranging, but these are not places I can easily get to put DE in. I would have to climb rusty barbed wire fences and other obstacles to get there.

What else can I be doing? I would like to catch all of my hens and pat them with DE, however, I have two hens that I got as adults that are really terrified of being caught. I tried to catch one the other day and she started bashing herself into a wall trying to get away as I slowly walked up and finally flew right over my head. My other "wild" hen has a defect, she has all five toes on her feet curled into a fist, so she is quite handicapped, and I worry about her injuring herself in a panic trying to escape me. I can already tell that her feet have been hurting her more than in the past year, and I would feel so bad if she injured herself and got bumblefoot, especially since she is so wild she would be very hard to treat. She is a good hen, just doesn't like getting within 15 feet of people/

If I must catch these wild hens, I will, but it will be very hard on them and me. I wonder if people have had success ridding the hens of mites without dusting all the hens? What else can I do? I was thinking of brushing the powder all over the roosts, I have flat 2X4 roosts, so I think I could get a thick coating of the DE up there.

I have plenty of DE, so it isn't a problem to use plenty. (and I know all the safety concerns as well.)

I've never had a problem with mites, I throw DE out everywhere.... I just did it this evening - I probably don't do it often ENOUGH, I do it about once a month or so - my chickens run is now covered with it, I threw (kids size) shovel fulls under the fruit tree's where they like to wallow when its hot, I threw a few of those shovel fulls into the coop on the floor (dirt floor) and pretty much where ever they're going to be wandering around tomorrow - they're sure to all get some......

I would probably personally dust them all if I found mites... as you have done puff it on their belly's and bums - perhaps some on the neck and back area as well.

Check them again in a day or two and re-do if you still see the mites.....

There is a women I know who shows giant cochins and she uses frontline spray for mites and she said it works wonders! She never seen a mite while using it. You can buy if from petmeds and you use a spray under each wing...above the bum area...and on the back of the neck.

Back
Top Bottom