How To Treat Mites

026TB4U

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2020
South Florida
Hi All,

I'm in South Florida but new to this chicken thing. I was given 2 roosters, 2 hens, and 8 chicks. We keep them in an open run and have 2 enclosed coops that they use at night.

I recently noticed that the hens were scratching a lot and I believe I have a mite infestation. I see tiny bugs on my arms when handling the chickens and the bugs are tiny, so I assume they are mites. I can see them crawling around in the coops if I look really closely. Again, they are tiny.

So after doing some googling, I am completely confused. The reason we got chickens in the first place was to go organic, so I hate to use pesticides to treat these things.

I was thinking about cleaning the coop and using Neem oil. I already dusted the coop and birds with DE but doesn't seem to have helped.

Any help from this newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome to BYC! I suggest you get some permethrin and spray everything.
gordons_6.png
gordons_7.png
gordons_2.PNG

When you say everything, do you mean the birds too? I noticed this is synthetic. How safe is it? Are there more natural options?

Thanks.

Went to my local feed store and bought Martin's Permethrin 10% and also Prozap Insectrin Dust.

Then at my local Walmart, I found a "non-toxic" spray called Poultry Protector. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200606_102000.jpg
    20200606_102000.jpg
    579.6 KB · Views: 4
So yesterday, I stipped the coops, and found lots of mites hiding in the cracks and crevices. So I saturated everything with Permethrin 10% liquid and allowed it to dry. I then replaced pine bedding and sprayed all chickens with the Poultry Protector before letting them back in. I need to recheck them but after reading some more reviews, I'm not sure the Pouktry Protector going to kill the mites.

So I am debating on using the Permethrin spray or Permethrin dust.

Any thoughts which is easier to apply and more effective on the chickens?

If the DE or permethrin doesn’t work, try Sevin dust. Lots of people don’t like to use it (and I‘d prefer not to) because it is toxic, but it works (I tried the DE and permethrin with no luck).
When I use Sevin, I wear a disposable glove, dust about 1-2 tbsp onto the vent area, and work it in/spread it around with the gloved hand. I also sprinkle a little in the nesting boxes. Haven’t had any problems with chickens getting sick and I keep it all contained to my coop/run. Good luck!

So I am debating on using the Permethrin spray or Permethrin dust.

Any thoughts which is easier to apply and more effective on the chickens?
Warm days I use the spray, cold days I use the powder. No easy way, you just have to catch any treat all of them.

Regarding Poultry Protector, I tried it and it didn't work for me. :idunno

Back
Top Bottom