How to treat wry neck?

Pics

It_is_I_Rae

Songster
Oct 30, 2019
Hi everyone. Just today one of my chickens started twisting her neck around in an unnatural way. She's about 5 years old or older. It comes and goes. The attacks last for a few seconds. Between them she seems mostly fine, she'll eat and drink, her appetite is fine. However she has been kinda sitting around with her chest puffed up too. I asked around and concluded that it is probably wry neck. I've heard that it can be treated with vitamin e and selenium. How much should I give her and how? I don't want her to overdose. Also none of the other chickens are showing symptoms so the cause is probably not contagious. Any help would be much appreciated. I don't want to lose her

Hi everyone. Just today one of my chickens started twisting her neck around in an unnatural way. She's about 5 years old or older. It comes and goes. The attacks last for a few seconds. Between them she seems mostly fine, she'll eat and drink, her appetite is fine. However she has been kinda sitting around with her chest puffed up too. I asked around and concluded that it is probably wry neck. I've heard that it can be treated with vitamin e and selenium. How much should I give her? I don't want her to overdose
t is crucial to make sure your birds are fed a proper diet. Poultry diets lacking in the proper amount of Vitamin E, in particular, can result in wry neck. The recommended level of Vitamin E for chickens of all ages and types is between 10 and 25 IUs. 🐥

t is crucial to make sure your birds are fed a proper diet. Poultry diets lacking in the proper amount of Vitamin E, in particular, can result in wry neck. The recommended level of Vitamin E for chickens of all ages and types is between 10 and 25 IUs. 🐥
Sorry for the dumb question but what does IUs stand for?

Do chickens with wry neck fall over? My hen is starting to fall over as well

Quoted from google."Regardless of how your bird developed wry neck, it's likely that the affected chick won't be able to hold its head up on their own". This will cause it to fall over or lie on its back, have difficulty eating, and may lead to the bird's death."

Last edited:
Regardless of how your bird developed wry neck, it's likely that the affected chick won't be able to hold its head up on their own. This will cause it to fall over or lie on its back, have difficulty eating, and may lead to the bird's death.
She's still capable of standing up but she has a neck spasm and falls over every so often. The falling over just started like half an hour ago. Just today clarify also, she's not a chick but a full grown hen

She's still capable of standing up but she has a neck spasm and falls over every so often. The falling over just started like half an hour ago. Just today clarify also, she's not a chick but a full grown hen
Can you upload a video to youtube or Vimeo then copy & paste the link here?

Back
Top Bottom