How to you blow out eggs?

I took 2 quart size mason jars and soidered 2 small pieces of copper tube on 2 small holes in the lid. Then used clear tubing to go from jar to jar to egg. Other tube goes to a stopper to fit in vaccum hose. Drill a small hope with a drimal tool in fat end of the egg only. Poke yoke with needle or wire then suck out the egg. All of the inside will be caught in first jar the second just for over flow. Wash egg. I've had a lot of fun with this. Some times they are sold with pysanki supplies.

Wow, thank you all so very much. I think I'm gonna have to do little experimenting on a dozen store bought eggs and see which method works best.

Of course Ruth's got a good idea, but with all the little fingers I have in my house, the eggs would get broken before they would dry and I know I'd have a smelly mess.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Then put them in an egg carton and put them on a closet shelf somewhere. I would leave the top open or cut it off. I leave mine completely out in the open to air dry. I'm betting they might spoil if closed up. Also, not sure how it works with store bought eggs that have been refrigerated for no telling how long. I only use fresh eggs that have never been chilled - they dry probably in about 3 months (maybe less) and have never spoiled.

ETA: And actually, it's my ADULT company that keeps breaking my eggs. No one can seem to resist picking up the pretty baskets, bowls, displays of eggs and then "Whoops" one falls out and gets broken. I have a tiny birds nest display in my guest room where I put the tiny "first" eggs, one of each color. After every visit of guests, the nest is empty or missing some and there's egg shell on the floor. No one will admit they picked it up and dropped the eggs but it seems to happen every time. Luckily I have a stash of them where I lay all the eggs I want to keep so I just replace the broken ones.

They are very dry and fragile. No one believes they are real eggs that just dried out until they can pick them up and touch them. Then they try putting them back in different positions and the eggs start bouncing around to get back in position in which they dried. It really is cool to watch. Put them on a flat table top and it's like magic - as if they have magnets in them.

Last edited:
Hi. I use a bulletin board push pin to make the holes in the egg...it's easier for me to control the size of the holes. I use a bamboo skewer (or a wire for quail eggs) long enough to go into the egg to scramble it, as above. I use an ear syringe (from the pharmacy) to blow them out -- just put the tip against one of the holes, and force the air through the egg. MUCH easier than blowing. Then I fill the syringe with water to rinse the egg shells inside.

I posted this in my first egg thread, but thought more of you guys may see in here. To make the blown out egg more durable, after blowing out the egg, rinsing it, and letting it dry completely:

From the nov/dec Hobby Farms Home magazine, Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty can be used to help reinforce the eggshell. They say that it doesn't expand or contract while drying, so it won't damage the eggshell. They say to inject the putty in the eggshell with a needleless syringe, using enough to leave a thin coat on the entire interior surface when you shake it around (make sure to cever the holes with your fingers when you do this) and then let the extra drain out. It says it may take a couple of days to dry completely.

cool.png

Back
Top Bottom