How u feed your chickens?

What do u feed your chickens

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Commercial feed for everyone. Some pens are free range for differing amounts of time, those get whatever they can glcatch as well as occasional fruit cores.

And eggs. Everyone gets eggs pretty often

All-flock (22%, I think; not sure bc DH buys), available at all times because we have layers and non-layers; grit and oyster shell always available; a little scratch in the morning; a little more scratch in the afternoon along with a handful of BOSS and another handful of dried mealworms, and they get to free range for part of every day.

We can't change your poll. "Other" is always a good option to include.

We have a hanging feeder in the run that they can access during daylight hours with layer crumbles. I do try to let them free range our backyard for a few hours every evening. I also give them treats, like fruit & veggie scraps (or fruit my kids are tired of eating and on the verge of soggy so won't eat anyways lol) but not daily. We have been giving them dried meal worms occasionally as a treat as well. I'm also trying my first batch of fodder, since they've already turned their run to mud & I know when the daylight hours are shorter and we're back in the thick of a busy school/soccer schedule they won't get as much free range time...I want them to have something green, moreso to keep them occupied not necessarily to replace their main feed.

Always available 17% Layer feed & 22% chick for chicks & adults; crushed egg shells, oyster shells and grit. They free range at least a few hours a day, often much of the day. To get them back into pen morning and evening a mix of BOSS, dried mealworms, whole wheat, rolled oats & barley (I add corn in winter). Whatever kitchen scraps I have & treats from the gardens according to season (cabbage, broccolli, cauliflower leaves, kale, lettuces, beets, carrots, squash, cukes, cherry tomatoes, berries in season & weeds)

signal-2023-07-28-09-25-07-554.jpg

Other - because you are what you eat
Free range - spring, summer, fall
Winter - homemade feed
Homemade feed - see pic (combination of dried, dehydrated and freeze dried)
Ingredients: herring, herring eggs, amphipods (tiny shrimp) krill, kelp, sea lettuce, sea plantain, plantain, dock, sedge, willow leaves, fireweed flowers and leaves, yarrow, clover, dandelion, daisy, marigolds, wild berries and leaves (blueberry, salmonberry, raspberry, cloudberry, lingonberry, highbush cranberry) mushrooms (chanterelles, portabella, button) organic vegetables - (carrots, green beans, many varieties of squash and seeds, cucumber, peppers, broccoli, kale, beets, cauliflower) organic fruit - (tomato, apple, banana, cantaloupe - fruit, seeds and rind) dried kefir cheese, organic hulled oats, organic chia seeds

Baby chicks are fed scrambled egg mixed with spirulina, kefir cheese, crushed amphipods, ground fireweed and blueberry leaves.

Back
Top Bottom