how well are your chickens laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ruffledfeathers1234, Jan 28, 2012.

1. ruffledfeathers1234

ruffledfeathers1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Athens, GA
    I was wondering how well e everyone's chickens are laying in this cold wet weather. Mine are just now starting to pick back up on their laying to around 2 dozen per day but there for a while they were only giving me around 5 eggs per day. Have anyone elses chickens slacked off this bad this winter?

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Mine have picked up their laying over the past month and are back to being laying machines. We've got egg cartons stacked up in the fridge.
    They slacked off in November but some of that was due to our move to another State and molting.

3. jemmasgrandma

jemmasgrandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    17 hens -9 eggs a day now. I was down to 2 or 2 a day.

4. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    I have 15 hens and get about 9 to 12 eggs a day. I am in Southern Ca though! The weather has been very warm lately![​IMG]

5. Queen of the chickens

Queen of the chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Unionville, MO
    I have about 40 hens and have only been getting between 14-18 per day. We had a light on up until about 3 weeks ago. I started getting frozen eggs and figured, why push the egg laying, if they are going to crack and break. So the light went off. Didn't notice much decrease though. I do have several good winter laying breeds and several that definitely are not, like Polish. I got my first Polish egg in 3 months just today. I think they will really start picking up over the next month as we get more and more sunlight.

6. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Well having a mixed aged flock has helped the numbers with the pullets(6) going into lay and the hens(10) going into molt really made for a crazy fall and early winter as far as production. I was just going over my monthly number average per day and Nov. was 7.7 epd (the height of the molt) Dec. was 9.7 epd and so far for Jan. 9.8 epd. That's 48%,60% and 61% respectively of the flock laying a day. Good numbers compared to some others here. Its been a roller coaster if you go by day numbers with no pattern of laying, going anywhere from 6 to 14 a day and everything in between.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  7. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I guess I'm doing pretty good. With 8 RIRs, I'm getting 6-7 eggs per day.

8. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    Three hens haven't laid an egg since late August, and I am getting very frustrated. It hasn't been very cold, they are on same food, etc. They seem to be having a VERY long moult. Discouragin to say the least.

9. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio

Not being mean. But how do you get 9.7 and 9.8 eggs a day?

10. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    We've got 33 hens now, and are consistently getting 16 eggs a day now. Back a month or so ago we got down into the 4-7 per day range. We *do* use artificial light to stimulate egglaying in the winter season.

We might actually be getting up to 17 eggs a day, but one of the hens consistently lays one that breaks and messes the other eggs. I'm going to have to hunt her down and stew her... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by