how well are your chickens laying?

Averaging 27 eggs/day from 14 pullets, some laying, some not, and 45 hens.
At first I was wth, 27 from 14? And then I saw the rest of the sentence...
tongue.png

7 mixed breed brown egg layers are consistently laying 3-4 per day, straight through cold, wind, sleet, snow and freezing rain. Coldest night so far was -15F so i think they will probably do just fine the rest of the winter.

I get anywhere from 28 to 36 eggs a day from 41 pullets. They really haven't slacked off at all this winter. Yea....because everyone loves my girls' eggs and I am almost to the point that they pay for their own feed and I get free eggs. Gotta love that!!

This week our egg production has greatly increased (finally). We've had eggs from our Australorp and Black sex links all winter, but now one of our Easter Eggers and our Barred Rock are getting in on the action. We actually got 4/6 eggs today :). I actually felt confident enough to give one of our neighbors a dozen eggs without fear of running out.

Ridiculously well.
ep.gif

They'll all be exactly six months old on Sunday, and they've been laying machines*. Our BA started on Christmas Eve and only ever misses one day per week. Our BR, EE, and DOM all started laying about 10 days after the BA, and the BR and EE have been the BA's equal. Over the past two weeks, the DOM has really picked up, too, only missing 1-2 days a week. We still can't believe it. I mean, I know they're young and laying through winter isn't more than a n00b-pullet thing, but we never expected them to lay so dang much despite the cold, rain, snow, wind, and short days. It's nuts!
D.gif

*Our welsummer is a freeloader who hasn't laid a single egg yet. Don't know what she's waiting for, but it's a good thing she's a riot to have in the flock.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom