how well do mutt chickens lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by miron28, Jan 19, 2009.

1. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    i got a bunch of mixed chickens or mutts that i got for free how well do they lay?

2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Each one is different. Probably, depending on what they're mixed with, about the same as the others.

3. Chix-in-GA

Chix-in-GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Nashville, GA
    I have 6 mutt hens that are laying machines. I get at least 4 eggs a day from them. [​IMG]

4. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    why do people refuse to have them?

5. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Quote:Who knows? I for one like them. I think they make great pets and layers both.

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Same reason some people only like purebred dogs and cats I guess. While there are some dog breeds I really like, some of the best individual dogs I have known were mutts. As for cats, I like my 3 mutts. (And purebreds are stuck up! [​IMG] )

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Exactly.

Funny thing when you consider that quite a few purebreeds started out by crossing other breeds.

I have both pure and mixed breeds, all lay well. [​IMG]

8. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    [​IMG] Hello neighbor!

My sex-link (mutt) hens are fantastic layers and I love them. However, I prefer pure-bred dogs, so go figure. [​IMG]

As long as you enjoy your chickens, it really shouldn't matter who their baby-daddy was! [​IMG]

9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i have pures and mutts,,, my mutts lay better, have better attitudes, and a WAY prettier !! ,, in fact,, i LOOK for mutts,, i BEG for mutts, and people buy more of my mutts then they buy the pures,,, and their tha same price.

10. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

I have purebreeds and mutts also.
    I personally like mutts. everything here has at least a few mutt mixed in it. Well all except the.....oh, wait nope they're mutts too...hahahahaha

I don't really notice a difference in which is better layers.
    But I do know at the swap sales the 'mutts' seem to go like hotcakes, while sometimes the 'purebreeds' will sit for hours before someone looks at them. I have seen that in everything from rabbits to chickens, from goats to pigs, from sheep to cows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by