How Well Do They Sell?

RollTideChicken

Songster
Mar 21, 2017
North Alabama
A buddy of mine has 30+ Narragansett eggs and he has offered them to me for free just to hatch. I don't really want to raise turkeys but if I could sell the chicks and make a bit of $$ then I'd be willing.
I already have everything I need to hatch and temporarily brood the chicks and even have a grow-out pen if needed. So other than feed and time not much expense on my part. Any advise would be great! Thanks in advance.
RTC

Thanks for the replies!
He's already got 2 bators full and these eggs are his excess. I was thinking it'd be a fun little project until I read up on raising them and it turned me off keeping any. I looked around and no one in my area seems to have any for sale. When do you typically see turkey chicks for sell? Is it soon or would I be way ahead of the market?

Thanks for the replies!
He's already got 2 bators full and these eggs are his excess. I was thinking it'd be a fun little project until I read up on raising them and it turned me off keeping any. I looked around and no one in my area seems to have any for sale. When do you typically see turkey chicks for sell? Is it soon or would I be way ahead of the market?
Our tractor supply has had them most shipments. Just the white though.

Thanks for the replies!
Normally turkey poults will start being available in about a month. I will be setting turkey eggs at the end of this week. They take 28 days to hatch. You may want to run an ad on craigslist to see if anyone will be interested. If they are, get a deposit since many people that express an interest don't show up when it is time to get the poults.

Normally turkey poults will start being available in about a month. I will be setting turkey eggs at the end of this week. They take 28 days to hatch. You may want to run an ad on craigslist to see if anyone will be interested. If they are, get a deposit since many people that express an interest don't show up when it is time to get the poults.
Well that's good to hear. I didn't want to have a supply with no demand. Thanks!

I've got one clutch that I hatched out 2 months ago. The second clutch is in the incubator now. You should butcher them in a few months, freeze them, and then sell for $6 a pound around Thanksgiving. There's a huge demand for pasture raised heritage breed turkeys. You can make a killing if you have the space and are willing to put in the work.
20200403_172153.jpg

I've got one clutch that I hatched out 2 months ago. The second clutch is in the incubator now. You should butcher them in a few months, freeze them, and then sell for $6 a pound around Thanksgiving. There's a huge demand for pasture raised heritage breed turkeys. You can make a killing if you have the space and are willing to put in the work.View attachment 2074153
This is entirely depending on the local market. A person would go broke here if they tried that. The local regulations are not the same everywhere and in most cases would require the turkeys to be USDA inspected in order to legally sell them to the public.

Back
Top Bottom