How well do your a rouens fly?

enriquec

Songster
5 Years
Aug 20, 2014
North Florida
I know they're non-flight birds but I'm pretty sure that means they're really bad at it, can't go in the air, and stay close to the ground for short distances that take a lot of work.

I noticed one of mine is developing wings below the range of the others. I think it was the runt. The wings still only have two curves to them.

I figure the larger ones are the worst at it. Today I noticed they're not as good or fast at running either.

They've been getting plenty of exercise until the last few days. I want to "maximise" flight. What can help? Besides stunting growth or starving, which I won't do. Exercise I think can't hurt.

Also, one of my ducks, Humpback we call him, was born with what's in the pic but it never went away. Should I worry?

Hard to tell but it's blonde. Here he's at top.

It's bigger than it looks in any pic

I know it's kind of late in the game, but Rouens weren't the best choice if you wanted flying ducks. Rouens are in the heavyweight class and don't fly. Their wings simply can't support the weight of their body, and there's nothing you can do to change that. Our remaining Rouen is small compared with all the huge ones you see at shows, and even he doesn't fly. He has trouble getting more than a couple inches off the ground for just a few seconds.

I can't tell from the pics what you're saying is wrong, but perhaps someone else will see what you mean.

I know it's kind of late in the game, but Rouens weren't the best choice if you wanted flying ducks. Rouens are in the heavyweight class and don't fly. Their wings simply can't support the weight of their body, and there's nothing you can do to change that. Our remaining Rouen is small compared with all the huge ones you see at shows, and even he doesn't fly. He has trouble getting more than a couple inches off the ground for just a few seconds.

I can't tell from the pics what you're saying is wrong, but perhaps someone else will see what you mean.
I can't see it either. and agree on Rouens and flying they are just too heavy and not built for flying.

Back
Top Bottom