Swedish & Rouen drakes or hen?

jus10inla

Songster
Sep 26, 2020
Louisiana
born april 2023, so approximately 2.5 months old. on the rouen, im assuming the orange bill will be my drake, and the duller grey will be hen; even tho shes a little bigger. The swedes I need some help. The one with the crest im hoping is my drake; as it’s already been nicknamed TRUMP. the other swede im thinking is a hen bc its been VERY VOCAL since about 1 month old. She never stops babbling at the others. Like a chatty kathy.

i know the pics are terrible but they dotn hang around much anymore when we walk close to them or try and get pics

Attachments

• IMG_5086.jpeg
    IMG_5086.jpeg
    565.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5085.jpeg
    IMG_5085.jpeg
    527.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5084.jpeg
    IMG_5084.jpeg
    529.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5083.jpeg
    IMG_5083.jpeg
    574 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5082.jpeg
    IMG_5082.jpeg
    519 KB · Views: 6
If you skip ahead to around a minute and 15 seconds, the lady starts explaining the different noises. It's pretty obvious once you know what you're listening for.

I've always had my males be extremely talkative but their quacks are much more raspy and low sounding. The female sound a lot like how Donald Duck would be if he was real.

When do they get the curl tail and head start turning full green? I duck hunted early in life, and drake mallard Greenheads in flooded fimber were of course easy to identify ; and we always talked amingst other duck hunters in code … how many flips you get today (curl tail) .

now that i have a few tho im watching them actually mature

When do they get the curl tail and head start turning full green? I duck hunted early in life, and drake mallard Greenheads in flooded fimber were of course easy to identify ; and we always talked amingst other duck hunters in code … how many flips you get today (curl tail) .

now that i have a few tho im watching them actually mature
If you had males, they would already have their so called Drake feather at this point. Not all drakes have ones that are very pronounced, however.
I haven't had any duck breeds that have green heads but apparently they should show up around 15 weeks old.

since these were born in april thats obly about 10 weeks, still got a little while on the head for the rouen, and i will start trying to listen more to the swedes

Wife brought home 4 (couple day old) swedes i think last week; and i bought 4 (couple day old) welsh harlequin on Saturday. Any way to tell sexing this young on them?

Back
Top Bottom