how will this effect them???(duck eggs)..egg obsessed runners

Ducklove334

Off to another pond
11 Years
Nov 4, 2008
Virginia
ok so, it seems as though Mouse has left her nest, I counted 12 eggs this morning
he.gif

anyway, Akai and Stencil, my two runners have this wierd obsession with eggs,when ever there is a nest, they go what I call "Simi-broody", they set ON the eggs, turn them, ect. when they think no one is looking, but if they see you, or you get too close, they leave the nest and only seen to go back when they remember the eggs are there
caf.gif

Stencil has claimed Mouses nest, and is setting on the 12 eggs(they ARE all mallard eggs, the runners don't lay consistantly, and their eggs are small and darker than mallard eggs.

how will it affect the eggs going from cold, to warm under a body then cold again for several hours to a few days??
hu.gif

If they eggs are left for 10-15 minutes it's usually no big deal. If they're left for an hour it's bad, but they can probably survive. If it's happening often then the eggs are probably duds.

If they're 12 days old you can try candling them with a strong flashlight. They sound like they're probably duds.

Mouse just started, or atleast I THOUGHT she was brooding yesterday, when i counted 11 eggs, now theres 12,I've had REALLY good fertility with my mallard eggs.

it's just wierd how the RUNNER ducks, a breed not known to go broody act like they want to sit O_O

Back
Top Bottom