How winter hardy??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by doubleatraining, Sep 2, 2011.

1. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    I'm getting some A&M quail next week. I have a pen ready for them but want to keep them long term.....how do they stand up to the cold??

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    They Do Very Well With Cold. Just Cover The Pen And 2 Sides To Block The Wind And They'll Do Fine For You

3. Eyeheartquail

Eyeheartquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Just make sure their water doesn't freeze!

4. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:A & M s are just Coturnix/Japanese Quail. They are NOT a separate breed . They were just a larger white Coturnix than the little English Whites .However they have been so interbred that it's doubtful that they even exist anymore.
    I agree with what JJMR794 says on winter care.Also I always add a few fluffed up leaves of hay in the pens for them to snuggle down into when cooler temperatures approach.

5. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Quote:A & M s are just Coturnix/Japanese Quail. They are NOT a separate breed . They were just a larger white Coturnix than the little English Whites .However they have been so interbred that it's doubtful that they even exist anymore.
    I agree with what JJMR794 says on winter care.Also I always add a few fluffed up leaves of hay in the pens for them to snuggle down into when cooler temperatures approach.

an a&m was made to be a jumbo white quail for meat production/all white meat. it never happend so all they got were jumbo whites. my jumbo whites or (a&ms) are exactly the same size as my jumbo brown(wilds) so an a&m was only ever a jumbo white bird correct? so i have a jumbo white bird? what was interbred or how is that not the same bird that Thornberry had in his shop? it is. the exact same. a&ms exist. just not how they are advertised.and yes they are the exact same as the jumbo browns i have in the pen next to them just they are white. [​IMG]

6. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

point i was trying to make is that "A&M Quail" are Coturnix ...NOT a separate species of quail. Also that A&Ms are no different than the browns or golds or etc...all of which can be found in Jumbo size.
    I keep seeing posts on here where people seem to be under the misconception that a A&M is different from a Coturnix/Japanese Quail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by