how would i go about making blue laced sebrights?????

Quote:
I'll be getting birds for my BLR OEGB project next spring
smile.png

Quote:
I have no idea how you'd go about doing it, but they sure would be pretty! I guess it would depend on what kind of black is in the lacing, as there are several kinds of black. You'd have to bring in another breed, and it would be a while sorting out type, as Sebrights being hen feathered would have trouble with any other bird that isn't, that carries Blue.

Remind me, is there another hen feathered bantam out there? If so, do they come in Blue? That's what you need to figure out.

There are buff sebrights too(I have a very pretty buff sebright hen), could you use one of those and would they be easier to work with than the silver or gold ?

No, you couldn't use Buff laced Sebrights because the dominant white in them would cover up the blue. Plus if you are wanting the silver laced pattern with the black replaced by blue, you would need the Silvers.

what i was thinking was you know how one a silver or gold sebright its black lacing with gold or silver base well i want the black lacing with a blue base. not BLR. sorry if i confused anyone.

Get your self a blue old english game bantam.

Cross a blue oegb with a sebright (could be silver or gold) = F1 blue or black offspring

Back cross an F1 blue male to female sebright= BC1 offspring ( pick the darkest and blue offspring with sebright characteristics)

Back cross the best black BC1 offspring with the blue F1 offspring= BC2 offspring (should have some good looking blues from this cross)
You could also cross the best blue BC1 offspring with the black F1 offspring

Then cross the best looking black BC2 with the blue BC2= F1 which are what you want

Tim

The lacing on the sebright is attributed to 5 different genes so you may have to breed for a while to get the sebright type lacing. You may come up with all kinds of other patterns. You may get some spangling and autosomal barring or even double lacing. It all depends on how the genes segregate into the sperm and eggs.

The reason I suggested a back cross was to increase the odds of getting all of the genes into the offspring.

I would be interested in seeing pictures of the offspring as you cross. I am working with some of the genes in the sebright at this time. I am not working with sebright.

If you post your results send me a PM to jog my memory.

Tim

Last edited:
I'd thought about the same thing (created a blue sebright) and my thought was using a Blue Rosecomb to get the blue genes. The feathering and body are different, but you maintain the comb type, and it's fairly easy to find Blue Rosecombs. Might take a few more generations to get the Sebright type perfect, but seems like it'd work well.

Back
Top Bottom