How would you get rid of coyotes?

The law says we can shoot them. They are pretty elusive though. If I hadn't heard or seen them, I would never believe it was a coyote. They don't show themselves often.

I'm also looking for a live trap. They will be shot once caught in a live trap. If we got one or more, we'd leave them on the prooerty for the other coyotes to see. We have 4 acres of land and so do all the other neighbors, which most of it's wooded.

Yesterday I had to let my coop out, it was 90. They must be on the lookout since they flew back to the coop so fast with in minutes and I never heard or saw them do this. I was outside with them too. When I looked in the coop all 17 were I top of the roost. I ended up watering down their run. They had two bowls of Gatorade, which seems to help keep them cool too.

The law says we can shoot them. They are pretty elusive though. If I hadn't heard or seen them, I would never believe it was a coyote. They don't show themselves often.

I'm also looking for a live trap. They will be shot once caught in a live trap. If we got one or more, we'd leave them on the prooerty for the other coyotes to see. We have 4 acres of land and so do all the other neighbors, which most of it's wooded.

Yesterday I had to let my coop out, it was 90. They must be on the lookout since they flew back to the coop so fast with in minutes and I never heard or saw them do this. I was outside with them too. When I looked in the coop all 17 were I top of the roost. I ended up watering down their run. They had two bowls of Gatorade, which seems to help keep them cool too.

What about setting them up using one of your chickens or another small animal? If they are really coming out during the daytime, what about putting a chicken in a small secure cage, set it out in the open for the coyote to come get. You AND your husband be armed and ready and when he tries to take the animal in the cage shoot him. It might work.

I agree with putting up an electric fence. That would take care of most predators. One of the portable poultry netting fences would work perfectly. But if you have kids and coyotes are acting so brave it would have to go. Here where I live it would be simple enough to find a hunter who would be more than willing to come and hunt/kill them. I wouldn't take any chances if I had kids. They will attack a young kid.

Shmccarthy who shot the slug gun knocking the buck off his feet IS A WOMAN. I bet SHE is capable of shooting any gun that anybody else is. I'd put money on it. I am a woman and I shot my first shotgun (an old 12 guage that kicks like a mule) when I was 10 years old. I man stood behind me to catch me when I shot it the first time. He was a little amazed when he wasn't needed. You shouldn't assume all women are dainty little weak things. LOL

Thank you, I couldn't have put it better myself. My first shotgun I shot has a slug in it and I was about 12 years old. Yeah it did kick like a mule but as long as you are holding it properly it won't jump out of your hands or knock you down. Granted I was sitting down, but I didn't have much a problem with it. :D plus, when you're in the heat of things and she finally sees that yote in her sights and pulls the trigger, she is going to be so focused on it, she probably won't notice the kick or noise. It happens to me a lot, it's like you're so focused on the animal, the kick and even noise just seems non existant at that point. :) I hope she gets it though! I've been itchin for a coyote hunting!

Thank you, I couldn't have put it better myself. My first shotgun I shot has a slug in it and I was about 12 years old. Yeah it did kick like a mule but as long as you are holding it properly it won't jump out of your hands or knock you down. Granted I was sitting down, but I didn't have much a problem with it. :D plus, when you're in the heat of things and she finally sees that yote in her sights and pulls the trigger, she is going to be so focused on it, she probably won't notice the kick or noise. It happens to me a lot, it's like you're so focused on the animal, the kick and even noise just seems non existant at that point. :) I hope she gets it though! I've been itchin for a coyote hunting!

I agree and you're welcome. :) I hate it when men underestimate us. You would think they would know better by now! lol

Yeah I hope she blows that coyote to smithereens. I don't have a problem with them if they stay away from the house and don't eat what I don't want them too. But if they cross the line they gotta go!

I agree and you're welcome.
smile.png
I hate it when men underestimate us. You would think they would know better by now! lol

Yeah I hope she blows that coyote to smithereens. I don't have a problem with them if they stay away from the house and don't eat what I don't want them too. But if they cross the line they gotta go!

@ shmccarthy & triple willow,

My whole family is from Michigan except for me, I was born in California. Every one of my relatives.. man, woman, and child knows how to use a gun and they are good at it. My mother in her day was an excellent shot and hunted with my dad all the time (she now lives in AZ). I have an aunt in Michigan that still hunts and she is in her late 70's.

@nichole01
Live trap and led poisoning is a short term solution. Protecting live stock in or around wooded areas pose unique challenges (cover). Coyotes can have litters of up to 19 pups so your problem may temporarily subside using live traps / led poisoning but they will likely be back. From what I have read, coyotes generally hunt in pairs. Dogs are a proven method for protecting live stock from coyotes. I have read on here that many have had great success with the use of electric fences. Long term, an electric fence is likely a better investment over dogs. A couple of trips to a K9 vet can easily cost you more than an electric fence.

I have looked into that electric poultry netting and I like it. It appears it can be easily moved around. I plan on purchasing some. http://www.premier1supplies.com/fencing.php?mode=detail&fence_id=93

Eventually we will chain link 3 of the 4 acres of our property. On days like today the temps are going to be in the 100's.:(. My coop faces the west side with all man made shading, which gets very hot once it reaches 90 outside. I normally free range, the hens take refuge under the trees and sit in cold running water until its time to come back in.

Unfortunately I can not let them out today and the coop/run will reach well over 100F and it is very humid. They have plenty of space in the coop and run, but with this heat, they need natural tree shading with running water.

Later this afternoon l will put all 4 large and CL dog kennels set up in the basement if they start to overheat. I'm watering down the run and they have 2 big bowls full of Gatorade, one with vitamins and their waterer. If I put running water in the run, the sand just washes away. I'll figure something out to keep them cool. If they overheat, they will come in the house.

Putting up an electric fence just wouldn't work. The woods is about 50ft from the coop.

Last year the coyotes didn't stay very long. This year is another story. They are sticking around forever.

We've thought about using a couple hens in a kennel as bait trap, then shooting them out. We just haven't had the time lately. My hubby has come down with pnenomiuna and is pretty sick.

Last edited:
@ shmccarthy & triple willow,

My whole family is from Michigan except for me, I was born in California. Every one of my relatives.. man, woman, and child knows how to use a gun and they are good at it. My mother in her day was an excellent shot and hunted with my dad all the time (she now lives in AZ).  I have an aunt in Michigan that still hunts and she is in her late 70's.

My mom got me my first shotgun when I was around 10-12 and about the same time I got my first .22 rifle. I still have both of them, still use them and don't plan on ever parting with either of them. I have added to the collection quite a bit but I still like to get those two out. Before those two guns I toted around my sister's Daisy BB gun. Then mom got me one of those pump-up pellet/bb guns. I still have both of those and still use the pellet gun. I was looking for another one like it and can't find one. Maybe becausse it is about 40 years old. lol My mom had a motive in arming me. lol She wanted me to bring in some rabbits and squirrels to eat, and I did. Those things are good!

Eventually we will chain link 3 of the 4 acres of our property. On days like today the temps are going to be in the 100's.:(. My coop faces the west side with all man made shading, which gets very hot once it reaches 90 outside. I normally free range, the hens take refuge under the trees and sit in cold running water until its time to come back in.

Unfortunately I can not let them out today and the coop/run will reach well over 100F and it is very humid. They have plenty of space in the coop and run, but with this heat, they need natural tree shading with running water.

Later this afternoon l will put all 4 large and CL dog kennels set up in the basement if they start to overheat. I'm watering down the run and they have 2 big bowls full of Gatorade, one with vitamins and their waterer. If I put running water in the run, the sand just washes away. I'll figure something out to keep them cool. If they overheat, they will come in the house.

Putting up an electric fence just wouldn't work. The woods is about 50ft from the coop.

Last year the coyotes didn't stay very long. This year is another story. They are sticking around forever.

We've thought about using a couple hens in a kennel as bait trap, then shooting them out. We just haven't had the time lately. My hubby has come down with pnenomiuna and is pretty sick.

Nicole, as long as the birds have shade and ventilation I don't think temps up to 100 degrees will hurt them. It is hot and humid (a lot of times in the 90%'s) here where I am and when it is the worst mine do okay. They do pant a little but that is just their way of cooling themselves. You can put some ice in their water. Some people fill 20 oz drink bottles with water and freeze them and put that in their water. They are not always as tender as we think they are, thank goodness! lol Sorry to hear your husband is sick. I know pneummonia has got to be rough especially in the summertime. Good luck to you.

My neighbor has a small farm (goats, chickens, fruit and vegetables...). and he related that he recently saw a large male coyote at his goat pen, and when he confronted the coyote - running at it and yelling at it, it refused to budge.
His guns were legally stored in a gunsafe so he grabbed a broom to shoo the coyote off.
When our neighbors asked him what he would have done if the coyote refused to leave and turned on him, he smiled and said that's exactly what did happen, and " if it happens again it won't be a broom that the coyote has to fear ".
He has shot several coyotes in his backyard and will add this one to the list if it comes back.
He has three large german shorthair pointers that watch his yard most of the time when he is out and about-
they run the coyotes off when they get within sniffing range.
Our own dog, before he passed away, used to confront and fight with the coyotes at every opportunity. We'd hear him growling in the living room at the front of the house, and when we went to the window, sure enough there would be a coyote trotting down the middle of the street, returning to the swamp from a night of opportunistic pet hunting.
Personally the coyotes are way ahead on the kill count- they have taken cats, ducks and rabbits from our property and I have yet to eliminate a single wild dog.
Given a chance I'd sure like to even the score up just a little....

I've heard a lot of talk about fox and especially coyote number up this year. Apparently a lot of people are having problems with them. My dogs seem to keep mos of the yotes here away but they are nasty little guys.
I've had 3 separate instances where I came across coyotes by my house. The first was we heard the cat screaming outside followed by yipping and my brother ran downstairs and saw the coyotes chase our cat up a tree. He went outside and they ran off. He stayed outside with our cat until he could coax her out of the tree. Unfortunately we didn't have a gun nearby.
The second I was walking my lab around 12:30 at night. He's an extremely docile dog and before that, I had never heard him growl. We were walking down the driveway and on the opposite side of the driveway is 580 acres of thick woods. My lab stopped dead in his tracks all of a sudden and started walking slowly towards the woods growling. He quickened his pace and bolted into the woods. I heard a yote running away, yipping and whimpering. I called for my lab and he came back, seeming very focused.
The last encounter happened a few months ago. I went to grab something out of my truck at night. My rooster heard me and crowed. Immediately after, I heard howling no further than 50 feet away. There were a lot of coyotes there. I tried to turn my lights on quickly to see if I could see them and they ran into the woods. I wish I would've had my gun each of those times. Hopefully I can get lucky and nab one. :)

Back
Top Bottom