How would you get rid of coyotes?

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
It's evident I have coyotes after my flock. There's more then one coyotes also and they are hunting during morning/midday/dusk. Last week they took 2 and injured one hen very badly. I'm surprised my hen is still alive and I'm doing everything I can to save her.

Yesterday late morning about 11:30am I heard at least 2, if not 3 coyotes about 50ft from my house making their very distinct yelping noises. They took 1 hen last year about this time too and I saw 1 coyote last year midday running along side my run, then crossing the street to the neighbors coop.

My flock is now locked up for the time being. It's been cool enough to keep them in the coop and run. Once it reaches 90 outside, I have to let them out to get shade under the trees and running water. The run is nicely shaded, but it is not natural shading and it gets very hot.

I'm not only worried for my flock, but my kids and other pets too. I do hear the coyotes at night, but right now it's not a full pack.

Live coyote traps are not easy to find at a decent price either.

I had the dogs out with the chickens right before that attack. The dogs were getting eaten alive by deer flies, so I put them in the house. As soon as the door shut and I was walking back to my flock is when the attack happened. These coyotes are very brave. I won't walk back in the woods anymore without proper protection. I seen the coyote and it is a big one too!

We take both dogs to search for the coyotes. They defiantly pick up on the scent and my Aussie rolled in very fresh poop twice now during the day on the weekend.

K9's add another layer of defense..as do fences, runs, coops, etc. Finding the right combination of defense is the end goal. Rollers on the tops of fences or hot wire, wolf urine spread in outlying areas, traps, guns, etc. There are allot of things that may or may not work but if you don't attempt, you lose before the battle begins. There is allot of good ideas on this board. Try the ones that best suit your needs.

I can't agree with you more on catching and releasing. Not only does it just move the problem onto someone else's shoulders but the animal becomes trap wise! I'm currently trying to catch a trap wise raccoon I believe was released nearby and I am having a really difficult time. It also spreads potential disease too. Just not a good idea in any aspect.
Depends upon where you release. I live in a National Forest and we have plenty of locations where there are not people or not people with chickens/ livestock. In fact, most people have some horses and call it a farm. There is room on the planet for the billions of us and a few animals too. Wild animals must feel under constant siege.

I have lots of coyotes, coons, opossums, bobcat, black bear and in winter, even Golden Eagles. I also free range my geese and chickens and do not have losses. I use dogs and a donkey. The predators are all about but stay off my place. I also leave plenty of prey (the squirrels, deer, turkey) so there is plenty of wild prey to eat for the predators -- I don't take that away as I raise domestic animals for my meat (that is the point) & enough habitat around me.
Two of my five dogs:

And Donkey with cow, bull (proud parents) and their newborn calf (all 3 are protective of calf) -- what's going to mess with this trio?

I agree. Luckily it's fall and winter will soon follow. I still worry about my children going outside even though they are 10 and 12.

Man, I felt so helpless. If I had better firearm experience, I'd take him out myself. I am working on that though. I had the perfect opportunity yesterday to do this.

I'm looking very much forward to fencing our property! We have so much wood coverage with trees/bushes that have horns where hawks can't get in. I've only seen a hawk once swoop and my flock was under the brush with thorns. This was 2 years ago.

I always thought fox, wolf and coyotes were nighttime hunters. I was wrong. I've seen all 3 and even a black bear in my backyard. For now, unless it's 95 or above outside, my flock stays locked up!

Thanks all for your help! In the meantime, hubby will try to hunt any coyotes he sees on our land.

You could just do a temporary electric fence just around your back yard where your kids can get out. I kept a horse in for years with just one strand of electric fence about 3 feet high. I've seen two nasty trained pitbull guard dogs kept in with just two strands of electric. You're welcome. Wish I was there to help you.

Keep a rifle handy. I keep one above the front door, loaded and ready at all times. I shot a coyote two years ago that was less than 40' from my front door when I saw her. She had gone about 25 yards by the time I grabbed the rifle and shot her. They can be called in with rabbit-in-distress calls.

If you are good with a rifle, shoot them. If not, hire someone who is.

Set some leg hold traps along the edge of your run, catch them at night then kill them. Watch your dog and kids don't get near them.

I wish there was an easier way of getting rid of them than shooting them but that's the only thing I can think of too. Out here on our property that would be the method of choice to get rid of a pest but I don't know if It's safe in suburban or densely populated areas. It's gotten to the point where my family is also standing at the ready in case a coyote should be seen. Some of the neighbors reported seeing a coyote around the same time the farmer's barn cats started going missing. Since we seem to have a way of attracting barn cats and making loving outdoor pets out of them, you can imagine why we might be concerned. Especially since one of the feral cats had kittens two months ago and two of them are still on the loose. The other night we heard something screaming up in the field and the other two kittens haven't been seen since. You can believe that if a coyote sets one foot in our back yard, "we'll be on him like a West-Texas dust storm," as my father would say!
somad.gif

If you don't know anyone who wants to shoot it, I'd suggest contacting your local hunter's association. My husband would dearly love for someone to call him to come hunt like that!

Back
Top Bottom