How would you get rid of coyotes?

I agree. Luckily it's fall and winter will soon follow. I still worry about my children going outside even though they are 10 and 12.

Man, I felt so helpless. If I had better firearm experience, I'd take him out myself. I am working on that though. I had the perfect opportunity yesterday to do this.

I'm looking very much forward to fencing our property! We have so much wood coverage with trees/bushes that have horns where hawks can't get in. I've only seen a hawk once swoop and my flock was under the brush with thorns. This was 2 years ago.

I always thought fox, wolf and coyotes were nighttime hunters. I was wrong. I've seen all 3 and even a black bear in my backyard. For now, unless it's 95 or above outside, my flock stays locked up!

Thanks all for your help! In the meantime, hubby will try to hunt any coyotes he sees on our land.

You could just do a temporary electric fence just around your back yard where your kids can get out. I kept a horse in for years with just one strand of electric fence about 3 feet high. I've seen two nasty trained pitbull guard dogs kept in with just two strands of electric. You're welcome. Wish I was there to help you.

You should invest in an electric fence for now not sure if its in your budget but its peace of mind but won't keep the hawks from dining as I found out now I have to keep mine penned until evening so they get out for a few hrs better than hawk dinner meanwhile I'd put the word out to a few hunters who would probably jump at the chance to kill a few coyotes

Livestock guardian dogs! We have Great Pryenees, and we will never be without one again. Dogs and coyotes travel the fields just outside our property, where we have goats and chickens. They don't ever come in the fence. When our Great Pyr was sick and not making his "rounds" as usual, coyotes came in the yard on the third day our dog was not active. Another time when our Pyr had passed away, stray dogs killed our pony. So, we have vowed to always have one here! They are great with our other animals, too.

I've had many years experience with large aggressive breed rescue, over three years vet ast experience, and worked with trainers and behavioralists of: military, police, and private security, K9 unites, and Livestock Guard Dogs.

Professional and personal experiances show that german shepherds (only correct English. spelling of BTW), are the best guard dog to use in all around situations, as far as ease of handling, training and keeping/maintainance ect.. they cannot be beat, especially in pairs.

Anatolan sheperds are great and seen as great guard dogs all around usually even singly. Rough collies, despite said as herding breed like other two, are great guard dogs. my one rough collie now has fought off: dog packs, a wolf pack, hybrids, codogs, coyote, dog packs, panther, and at least four black bear. his smarts, strength, speed and agility, along with thick hide and coat allow him to come out mostly unhurt after running down and biting between eye pits, breaking spine with strong jaws, or hitting under armpit to knock over so can slash or bite throat.

My new german shepherd just has to be seen and she sends everything running (she is rescue and fifteen years old, broken teeth ect.. so just for show as collie looks so adorable nothing takes him serious until game face comes out (as a huge drugged up biker found out one night, when my rough collie was only six months old).

A pack is smart and tactical. to big but slow of dog can be run around or behind to have stock taken and lgd taken down. never keep a dog by itself as alone seen as easier target to pack. Also seen single dogs that have welcomed packs as a dog does know its a dog and wants and needs company of own kind.

I can see that working for a lot of dogs but true lgd breeds are known to "think for them selves". Do you use your German Shepherds as lgd? If you do can you tell how you trained them to guard chickens?
misty is our pet 1st and foremost--(also a house dog) she has learned by instinct the sounds that the ducks and chickens make--which ones are normal and which ones are the warning calls. yesterday the ducks called out a warning--misty was right on top of it(barking ferociously) before I could even get off the couch--hit the front door and out we went to see a hawk fly right over the house and away.(with nothing) I find that the chickens and ducks work together with warning calls(sounds weird I know) which ever group makes the call, the rest are on alert.
Is she trained specifically to guard them?--no--but I have had all of them (chickens and ducks)since they were babies and misty was allowed to be their mommy and sniff their butts and lick their heads. they are essentially "hers" and they are not afraid of her and will come over and peck at her feet. I have a 7 week old chick that had a twisted leg out of the shell--(husband was a softy on that one)--well Leg hops around and misty helps by putting her nose under Leg's butt and pushes her forward.
misty will chase after fox(never catches them) and does not go off the property line.(13 acres)(we do not let her out if coyote are around, we have the AR for them) that being said--she is not outside when we are not home. will everyone have the luck of having a misty---no--we consider ourselves blessed and hope in the future we get that lucky again with a rescue gsd(twice lucky so far) Bonding with your animals is a big thing to us and voice command control is another.

My new german shepherd just has to be seen and she sends everything running (she is rescue and fifteen years old, broken teeth ect.. so just for show as collie looks so adorable nothing takes him serious until game face comes out (as a huge drugged up biker found out one night, when my rough collie was only six months old).
good for you on the rescue! im glad to hear people still adopt rescues!

Back
Top Bottom