How would you get rid of coyotes?

We've been trying to hunt it for the last few days and have been very unsuccessful.

My dog decided it would be awesome to roll is very fresh coyote poop and it was ALL over her coat. That was really fresh poop too and in the mid afternoon. We still hear their yips and yelps. They are very hard to catch. We need a rabbit call.

The kids are not allowed outside in the backyard until we have this problem solved. They are not happy at all, but I want them to be safe. I don't doubt the coyotes would attack them too.

Our property backs up to 900 acres of undeveloped woods. We have a LOT of coyotes come to the edge of the property. I hear them almost every night. We have dogs and the neighbors also have dogs that run loose at night. If you have a large breed dog that will help. I want to kill them to but it is easier said than done :(

I'm being extra cautious with the kids. The coyotes are 20ft from our house hunting during the day. I know it's unlikely the kids get bit, but I'm not taking chances.

They attacked my flock with me just feet away. I've also had fox come up to me less then 5ft away when camping.:/

Last edited:
I don't know how old your kids are, but I would keep them inside too. A kid a few counties over from me was playing in the backyard and was dragged off by a coyote a couple years ago.
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/07/23/toddler-recovering-after-coyote-attack-at-oc-cemetery/ this wasn't the same incident, but young kids are definitely in danger of coyotes. More likely than not though, yotes will only attack a human if they are in a large pack, seriously desperate or if the human looks like it can be taken by said coyote. It may be a small chance, but the chance is still there. I would do the same thing. :) not to mention the diseases a lot of them carry..
And I agree with above posters, I would get a gun to shoot it with and use a distressed rabbit call to call it in. I've heard from quite a few sources that if you kill a packs member and hang the body from a tree where the pack will see it, they will move on from the area. I haven't field tested it myself though. Good luck!

I have a GPxlab pound puppy (now 4) that is the best coyote dog I've ever had. I specifically wanted a GP or a GPX to keep coyotes away. He's independent and likes to stay out at night. He is also great with the chickens.

I've heard of coyotes enticing dogs to chase them and then the coyote pack kills the dog. Maybe GP's are too smart for that. I think I would want more than 1 dog outside at night with a lot of coyotes around. Do you think an electric fence would keep your chickens safer during the day?

Last edited:
Your free range area should for sure have a perimeter fence. A good dog or dogs will be your best option to keep away coyotes. We have many coyotes in our area and hear them all the time at night but they dare not get onto our property. The right dog will watch over your property and leave its scent markings to signal coyotes to stay away (we have a dog pack of 7 dogs). You have every right to pick off coyotes with your rifle if they are a threat or until you find a good guard dog.

If they are brazen enough to be seen within 40 yards, skip the rifle and use a shotgun and #4 or OO buckshot. You don't have to be an expert marksman and, at that range, if there are more than one you might get them both. The shotgun round will not carry as far as the rifle will, so there is a bit of added safety. As mentioned earlier, rabbit in distress is the go to predator call.

It may just be easier to run an ad or ask your local game warden if he or she knows a reputable predator hunter. Find one that can give you a couple references. Most are always looking for new hunting spots. You would be amazed at how a good predator hunter can stack up those coyotes. A good predator hunter will also have you sign permission form for him or her. Be sure the form covers when they can and cannot come onto your property, that they cannot convey the hunting right to another party, that you assume no liability for them, and that the permit expires within a fixed period of time. Be sure to get their cellular phone number and get a description of the vehicles they will use.

I used to hunt predators and varmints for fun, but no longer have the time. I use professional predator/varmint hunters and trappers on my hunting land. They are extremely effective, professional, leave no sign they were there, and don't cost a dime! Once you establish a relationship with them, they are usually happy to come back anytime.

Back
Top Bottom