How would you get rid of coyotes?

We've been working on our dogs, both protectors of house and land. One a golden retriever and the other an Aussie. I'm not sure how I ended up with 2 very protective dogs, but I did. Hubby takes them deep into the woods often and I take them in the woods near the house. I use the word "fox" and it puts them in alert mode and they pick up trails and find any coyote poop. I have fox pelts that are brown like coyote. The problem with them being protectors is that I'm liable for people who walk on our yard whether its kids coming over, the mail man delivering a box or the meter reader. The dogs are in the house and put away when company comes. We are going to buy a rabbit call.

My coop is inside my garage, so I can't get on top. The run is along side the house has a tin roof.

I have 3 cockerels right now, but 2 are going on CL by this weekend. They are starting to mate with their group. The cockerels are not old enough to stand alert. I could use them in a kennel. I have one that's really loud with normal clucks. None of my boys are crowing. We would go deep into the woods and do this, maybe sit in a tree for protection from 2-pack of coyotes. Hubby has a lightweight portable tree stand.

The temps have been so high here that I've had to let them out of the coop and run. The coyotes are not around at the moment next to our house. The heat is suppose to break soon, so that's a huge relief.

I just realized since the coyote attack last year that all the deer have disappeared.:( We would watch the babies play all the time every year for years. Ever since my one hen went missing last year and I saw the first coyote, the deer have been gone. The fox are gone too, I see them eating our corn we set out for the deer once in a while.

I do hope we are successful in getting the coyotes with hubby's hunting. Next spring is when we start on the fence. Hubby wants to install the fence himself, but 3 acres out of 4 is a lot of work.:/. We are chain link fencing.

I wish I can own a horse and so do the kids! They are too big for me to take care of. I broke my neck a few years ago and I'm limited in my physical ability. My children take horseback lessons each fall. It would be nice to have a couple horses.

you walk the borders of your property with your dog, that is how we trained the last 2 german shepards.  they know.

I can see that working for a lot of dogs but true lgd breeds are known to "think for them selves". Do you use your German Shepherds as lgd? If you do can you tell how you trained them to guard chickens?

Quote: it can work with LGD's too. german shepherds are also known to think they know better - have had 2.

I think you need to know the background/heritage of the individual LGD you are getting. Not just the breed in general, but the individual family group genetics.

I'm getting 2 puppies from here: http://www.lgdnevada.com/Home_Page.php

I like her philosophy on LGD's & pack raising & socializing with people.

Don't recall whose post - but I think someone in talking about the energy of LGD's was confusing herding type dogs with shepherd type dogs. two completely different goals. The shepherds tend to be more laid back - watching - until protection is needed. Unlike the high energy herders that need to be constantly on the move, 'worrying' a flock or herd of animals.

You know we talk about selecting & breeding chickens for personality traits - it makes sense to understand the family traits of the dogs you are getting. I love getting rescues, but for that reason, for a dog I want to do a job - I'll select from someone I can see breeds for traits I want.

My Australian shepherd is always on the watch. We did rescue her and she protects the flock and us, but from inside the house. She sees dogs in our yard and let's us know, this has saved my flock from dog attacks several times. The coyotes are sneaky, but I'm pretty sure she has seen them from the window.
gy2u3ute.jpg

The Aussie will constantly go to window to window.

We are getting a German Shepherd for one of our next dogs when these two are gone. We will always have 2 dogs. I feel safer myself with them around.

Here's another approach that could work better in the long run--given that coyotes are incredibly resilient, and in a lot of ways you're better off living with coyotes you've taught to be afraid than to kill the first ones you see, only to have a new pack quickly fill in behind those. Coyotes are compensatory breeders: the more you kill, the bigger the litters of the survivors and the earlier they breed. Coyote numbers are higher than they have EVER been, despite millions of dollars and man-hours spent trying to kill them off. I've lost a couple of ducks to coyotes--in the middle of the city, because they are everywhere. Now I lock my birds up tight when I'm not watching them, but if yours have to be out, try a guard dog. If it works for sheep, why not chickens? Here's the link :

http://www.sandiegolovesgreen.com/t...n-program-a-non-lethal-model-for-coexistence/

Back
Top Bottom