How would you get rid of coyotes?

how many children have been killed by coyotes in the last hundred years? I think about 1 in total? considering the million coyotes out there? Compare that to the amount of children killed by their own mothers and fathers. Kids are more likely to be taken by a person.

26 people are killed by dogs in america alone every year. Wow that is shocking I did not think death from dog was that high, many adults are killed by dogs also. THird world country if a dog kills an intruder people dont really care as much and it goes unreported.
I wasn't talking about people kidnapping, I'm talking about coyotes. I believe about 12 kids a decade are killed by coyotes. Mainly if the coyote gets used to seeing humans. They are dangerous creatures, but usually only to kids 10 years old and under.

Actually coyote attacks on children are very common. Two have happened near me in the last few months. A little girl was dragged away standing right next to her parents and they chased the yote down until they could get her. They were in a cemetery. She is in critical condition and lucky to be alive. Another little boy was killed in his own fenced in back yard. Do your research, it's very common. Especially in area where there is population explosions. I live in Michigan and this is one of the worst years for coyote and fox right now. When populations of coyotes go up, attacks do as well because they force themselves into human populated areas. And I'm sure there are plenty of other cases where children have gone missing and it had ended up being coyotes. A lot of coyotes in the northern part of the state are coyote/wolf hybrids and are larger than the standard coyote and have the aggressiveness of a wolf. Coyotes are very organized pack animals and can and will kill small children. They shouldn't be underestimated in those circumstances.

True

My horse attacks them. Head down teeth out at a run. We rarely see them now that we have Budd the attack horse. He also chases raccoons and what ever else that enters his pasture. Kind of handy. He is a 15.3 hand paint gelding solid muscle. He did chase my turkeys too
somad.gif
so I had to keep him away from them. Darn horse!! He could care less about the chickens....thank god!!

no 1 kid has been killed in the last hundred years only.

Two fatal coyote attacks have been confirmed by experts: the Kelly Keen coyote attack and the Taylor Mitchell coyote attack

Both of these cases the coyotes were fed by human hand outs. Which made them lose fear.

There has not been only one fatality by coyotes in the last 100 years. I hear about them all the time. They will attack and kill children if they can, plain and simple. Whether they kill the child or not, it is not something to trifle with. Small children should be kept safe in problem coyote areas.

Edited to add:
Plus you just contradicted yourself. You said there has only been one fatality in the past 100 years and you just provided two links where two people were killed by coyotes in the past 30 years.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote_attacks_on_humans
Like I said, you shouldn't only worry about fatal attacks. Non fatal attacks on humans are something to worry about.

Last edited:
There has not been only one fatality by coyotes in the last 100 years. I hear about them all the time. They will attack and kill children if they can, plain and simple. Whether they kill the child or not, it is not something to trifle with. Small children should be kept safe in problem coyote areas.

Edited to add:
Plus you just contradicted yourself. You said there has only been one fatality in the past 100 years and you just provided two links where two people were killed by coyotes in the past 30 years.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote_attacks_on_humans
Like I said, you shouldn't only worry about fatal attacks. Non fatal attacks on humans are something to worry about.

Out here in So Cal, coyote attacks on people are not that uncommon. On two separate occasions two different 69 year old woman were attacked around Palm Springs recently. San Diego has had a few attacks and LA gets quite a few around Griffith Park, the Hollywood hills, Santa Monica hills and in San Fernando Valley. Orange county gets both Mountain Lion and Coyote attacks. It seems the Mountain Lions chase and kill mountain bike riders....

Mountain Lion:

Last edited:
You bet they will attack humans(big or small), especially in packs. I was outside about 20ft when the attack happened. Plus I just had my dogs out with them and the moment the dogs were put away is when it happened. There's at least 2-3 back there, if not an entire pack. Coyotes go after big prey too, like sheep.

My horse attacks them. Head down teeth out at a run. We rarely see them now that we have Budd the attack horse. He also chases raccoons and what ever else that enters his pasture. Kind of handy. He is a 15.3 hand paint gelding solid muscle. He did chase my turkeys too :mad: so I had to keep  him away from them. Darn horse!! He could care less about the chickens....thank god!!

You might have the safest chickens in the country! I just hope he doesn't decide people are on his bad list. LOL

You bet they will attack humans(big or small), especially in packs. I was outside about 20ft when the attack happened. Plus I just had my dogs out with them and the moment the dogs were put away is when it happened. There's at least 2-3 back there, if not an entire pack. Coyotes go after big prey too, like sheep.

Nicole, do you know any hunters? Are there many hunters around where you are?

Back
Top Bottom