How would you get rid of coyotes?

Farmers around here shoot them off of their combines while in the field. The coyotes don't run from the farm equipment. They have dens in the middle of their fields, they said. Farmers with calves don't want coyotes either.

Farmers around here shoot them off of their combines while in the field. The coyotes don't run from the farm equipment. They have dens in the middle of their fields, they said. Farmers with calves don't want coyotes either.

You bet they will attack humans(big or small), especially in packs. I was outside about 20ft when the attack happened. Plus I just had my dogs out with them and the moment the dogs were put away is when it happened. There's at least 2-3 back there, if not an entire pack. Coyotes go after big prey too, like sheep.

Nicole, do you know any hunters? Are there many hunters around where you are?

My husband is a hunter. Although, he and I got a wicked influenza type virus the last 2 weeks and he has pneumonia which he's going on his 3rd type antibiotics. He has been out there as much as he can, but no luck.

It's 100 out right now and I had to let my flock out of the coop and run for the last 4 hours. So far they've been sitting on the side of the house under trees in puddles of cold water from the garden hose. I've let my dogs sit out there every once in a while today to watch guard, but they are pretty much done. I know it's not fool proof for the coyotes, but I don't have a choice. They are on high alert and very jumpy. It won't be long before they forget about the attacks.

I haven't had them out in a few weeks, so I hope they are okay. I'm constantly checking on them. I have at least 2 more hours before they can be put back. The low has been in the 80's, so the flock is pretty miserable.

I put away the flock early, watererd the run and am done worrying. It's tough gathering 17 when you want them to go inside.lol. One hen went back far in the woods where the attacks were, I left and 15-20 minutes later she was digging for bugs. I got her in finally and all are safe, but very hot. The heat advisory is until wensday.

I wonder if coyotes move on from place to place every year by habit. There are no dens anywhere where we can see.

Last edited:
My husband is a hunter. Although, he and I got a wicked influenza type virus the last 2 weeks and he has pneumonia which he's going on his 3rd type antibiotics. He has been out there as much as he can, but no luck.

It's 100 out right now and I had to let my flock out of the coop and run for the last 4 hours. So far they've been sitting on the side of the house under trees in puddles of cold water from the garden hose. I've let my dogs sit out there every once in a while today to watch guard, but they are pretty much done. I know it's not fool proof for the coyotes, but I don't have a choice. They are on high alert and very jumpy. It won't be long before they forget about the attacks.

I haven't had them out in a few weeks, so I hope they are okay. I'm constantly checking on them. I have at least 2 more hours before they can be put back. The low has been in the 80's, so the flock is pretty miserable.

I put away the flock early, watererd the run and am done worrying. It's tough gathering 17 when you want them to go inside.lol. One hen went back far in the woods where the attacks were, I left and 15-20 minutes later she was digging for bugs. I got her in finally and all are safe, but very hot. The heat advisory is until wensday.

I wonder if coyotes move on from place to place every year by habit. There are no dens anywhere where we can see.

I'm sure you and your husband have been miserable with that sort of virus in this heat. Hope you arre both back to 100% before long! I am a firm believer in Vitamin D to avoid viruses like that. I take 5,000 IU's/day everyday. Also raw crushed garlic is a wonderful natural antibiotic.

I believe your dogs will make the coyote think twice about trying to get another chicken. Maybe when your husband feels better he can fix the coyote problem. The people who hunt coyotes here use an audio caller with the sound of an injured rabbit squealing. That really makes them come out. I would try that of as I mentioned earlier, put a chicken in a safe cage out in your yard (staked down) to tempt the coyotes out. I would use a cockrel, not one of my laying hens that I reallly didn't want to lose. Besides the chance of getting hurt, she would probably not lay for a while after getting the crap scared out of her. But I would for sure lure the coyote out and try to get a good shot at him.

I don't know but the coyotes here at my house seem to stay in the same general area.

If anyone in CO is looking for a GP guard dog, there is one listed on Fort Collins CL. She's listed for $5 but that doesn't mean anything. Might be $5 might be $500. Has experience with chickens.

if your coop is tall and flat enough like mine is i sit on top of the coop and wait for them to come in then i shoot them with my 22.cal. There are so many coyotes behind my house that it is no even funny.

A lgd does not know where "its" land is. Some patrol far and wide, some more so than others. A typical fence will not hold a lgd if it wants out, they will hop right over a typical fence and go where they think they need to go to do what they consider to be their job. You do not want an agressive dog doing that. Liability from a dog bite can be very expensive and cause your home owner's insurance to go through the roof.
you walk the borders of your property with your dog, that is how we trained the last 2 german shepards. they know.

My horse attacks them. Head down teeth out at a run. We rarely see them now that we have Budd the attack horse. He also chases raccoons and what ever else that enters his pasture. Kind of handy. He is a 15.3 hand paint gelding solid muscle. He did chase my turkeys too
somad.gif
so I had to keep him away from them. Darn horse!! He could care less about the chickens....thank god!!
awesome---good reason to keep some sort of equine around!

Back
Top Bottom