How would you know if your Muscovy is a Mule?

D'Angelo N Va. :

from what I was told....Muscovies are a totally different breed of duck not at all related to the mallard which is what most ducks are in some way or another related to from generations...and if any duck breeds with a muscovy the off spring will be "Mules"...now with that being said, my friend has lots of mules she found out the hard way,,,and they have been around for years she says ,but just pets and she keep their eggs for eating only so they will not try to incubate them...when a hen tries to set she switches out the eggs for muscovy eggs so she will not set in vain. oh and how can you tell...well I don't know that part. sorry.
wink.png

How does she know they are mules? Is it from infertility? Or is it visual?​

Quote:
LOL! I wasn't saying they were. I meant that humans and chimps are two different species (two types of primates), and muscovies and mallards are two different species (two types of ducks).

I heard that Hinnies and Mules both laid eggs just infertile ones. You CAN visiually tell mules/hinnies from Muscovies or mallard derived species. They will have a different body type than mallards and muscovies. They will have more of a mallard beak with a muscovy face. They will have claws like muscoveys and wings like muscoveys, but they will not be intierly muscovey looking nor mallard derived looking.

Quote:
How does she know they are mules? Is it from infertility? Or is it visual?

from infertility..and they do look a little different..some of them, not so much.

Do these look like mules?
57454_6-23-11_017.jpg

57454_6-23-11_013.jpg

Just wondering if there is a way to tell yet.I hate when you don't know for sure what you have...I was told these ducklings would be mostly white with a little black on the tails...they are looking like barred so far....which I am happy with because white is my least favorite...

Back
Top Bottom