How would you prepare this for ducks?

DrHawkeye07

Songster
6 Years
Jun 11, 2017
Minnesota
I've been wanting to keep ducks for quite a while now. I've been doing research, reading books and browsing these forums for over 4 years!

Last summer, I bought a place that has a small stable and dog kennel that I thought would provide a good foundation for raising ducks. My plan is to get this all ready BEFORE buying ducklings. Based on my research, I have some ideas on how to make this a safe, protected environment, but I wanted to get some input from experienced duck owners.

So, please reply, and tell me what you would focus on if this was on your property! Thanks a bunch for your input!

IMG_1193.JPG

Nice score! And kudos for doing your research and getting everything prepared first! :highfive:

First thing I would do is run 1/2" hardware cloth all the way around the kennel at least 3' high, if not the entire walls... if only 3' high, you can use leftover hardware cloth to patch any messed up sections... this is because coons are notorious for reaching through chain link and pulling ducks out a piece at a time, not a pretty thing to happen...

Second, I would net/cover/enclose the rest of the kennel to deter/stop raptor attacks or climbing predators... duck is a favorite menu item, unfortunately...

Will you keep the ducks just in the kennel, or cut a pop door leading into the stable for them? What kind of ducks are you considering? Different kinds and the number of ducks wanted factor into decisions as well... will you free range or keep them contained?

Nice score! And kudos for doing your research and getting everything prepared first! :highfive:

First thing I would do is run 1/2" hardware cloth all the way around the kennel at least 3' high, if not the entire walls... if only 3' high, you can use leftover hardware cloth to patch any messed up sections... this is because coons are notorious for reaching through chain link and pulling ducks out a piece at a time, not a pretty thing to happen...

Second, I would net/cover/enclose the rest of the kennel to deter/stop raptor attacks or climbing predators... duck is a favorite menu item, unfortunately...

Will you keep the ducks just in the kennel, or cut a pop door leading into the stable for them? What kind of ducks are you considering? Different kinds and the number of ducks wanted factor into decisions as well... will you free range or keep them contained?

I'd cut a door leading into the stable, which I plan on using as nighttime containment. I would use the kennel as their run. I should mention that the dog kennel forms an "L" shape behind the stable, measuring 12'x18'x18'.

While I like the idea of free range, I've seen foxes during the day (not to mention free-running dogs), so that makes me nervous. I'd probably only let them roam if someone was outside with them.

I'm most interested in Silver Appleyard and Saxony, and would only start with a small number of 4-6.

I'd cut a door leading into the stable, which I plan on using as nighttime containment. I would use the kennel as their run. I should mention that the dog kennel forms an "L" shape behind the stable, measuring 12'x18'x18'.

While I like the idea of free range, I've seen foxes during the day (not to mention free-running dogs), so that makes me nervous. I'd probably only let them roam if someone was outside with them.

I'm most interested in Silver Appleyard and Saxony, and would only start with a small number of 4-6.

Very nice! Both breeds are gorgeous, I'm partial to SA's myself, lol... I have Calls, Swedish and Rouen mixes...

Looks like plenty of room for a half dozen, and plenty of space for expanding in the future as well (trust me, it will happen, lol)...

Is the wooden flooring in the kennel on the other side as well, or does it go down to dirt? Can you get pics of the inside of the stable as well? Would love to see what you have to work with in there too...

Glad you are watching the predator situation... free ranging is great for them when it can be done, just not practical in every situation... :)

Oh, I am soooo jealous!! You have a great foundation there!

The box stall is what I would use for them first, and leave the other separated for now... the part of the wall directly on the other side of that hanging blue bucket, it's inside the leg of the kennel L, yes? I would put a pop door right there... the other stall can be used for introducing more ducks later on if you wish, or even for separating out a mama and her babies...

I would definitely check out all the wiring, make sure there isn't a fire hazard... but otherwise, for the most part, sweep it out and do a good pressure wash and your basically set... I don't think a whole lot needs to be done... do any windows open up? Some more ventilation would be very good...

Yeah, that's where I was planning on putting a pop door. There are also 2 windows that can be propped open, but I think cutting windows into both doors might be a good idea. That way I have better visibility as I'm approaching.

Yeah, that's where I was planning on putting a pop door. There are also 2 windows that can be propped open, but I think cutting windows into both doors might be a good idea. That way I have better visibility as I'm approaching.

Nice! Great idea!

I would also put hardware cloth over the windows on opposite side from where they open, that way when it's hot the windows can be left open for air even at night and still be secure...

Next you will have to design a pool area. they don't necessarily need a deep pool, but i can tell you will want them to have something to swim and splash around in. Do you have anything in mind yet? There are lots of pond/pool ideas on this site.

and i have to second what Ravyn said, it's great that you've done some research first! We get lots of new folks that buy ducks on a whim and don't have the first clue! We like to help them too, but it's refreshing to see someone do some legwork first! :)

I'll probably go the kiddie pool route to begin with.

Question about enclosing the top of the kennel: Is netting sufficient or should I get welded wire?

Back
Top Bottom