How y'all are from Georgia!

BDaughtry

Chirping
May 9, 2021
We had been entertaining the idea of having a small flock for several years, but just never followed through. But recently, my daughter's first grade class incubated and hatched out eggs in class and brought their chicks home. Now, we've got what we think is a Barred Rock chick living in a crate beside my daughter's bed.

So, now I've got to build a coop and we're planning to get from 3 or 4 more chicks to keep Rosie company. Yes, they will be "pet" chickens. I have no problem hunting and shooting deer, rabbit, squirrel, etc. for meat, or picking up beef, chicken or pork at the market, but I'd have a hard time eating the chicken that's been following me around the house and yard since hatching lol.

We are starting out in a new house on 48 acres of mainly wooded land. We've cleared about 2 acres around the house and have a 3 acre pond maybe 250 yards behind it. Currently, it's myself, my wife of 20+ years, our 6 year old daughter, 3 dogs and 1 chick. My biggest hurdle is finding time to get things done. I'm a maintenance tech at a nearby industrial food plant where my schedule has me working 6 days and 50+ (sometimes ++) hours a week. Wife also works and daughter has a full schedule of school, extracurricular activities, and dance. Doesn't leave me much time to work on things but I make do. Right now my hobbies of woodworking, luremaking, reloading, and RC vehicles is pretty much on hold. Hopefully we'll get everything settled in our new house and get caught up soon and I can find time to start a garden and start building a shop and some shelters.

Thank y'all for having me!!

We had been entertaining the idea of having a small flock for several years, but just never followed through. But recently, my daughter's first grade class incubated and hatched out eggs in class and brought their chicks home. Now, we've got what we think is a Barred Rock chick living in a crate beside my daughter's bed.

So, now I've got to build a coop and we're planning to get from 3 or 4 more chicks to keep Rosie company. Yes, they will be "pet" chickens. I have no problem hunting and shooting deer, rabbit, squirrel, etc. for meat, or picking up beef, chicken or pork at the market, but I'd have a hard time eating the chicken that's been following me around the house and yard since hatching lol.

We are starting out in a new house on 48 acres of mainly wooded land. We've cleared about 2 acres around the house and have a 3 acre pond maybe 250 yards behind it. Currently, it's myself, my wife of 20+ years, our 6 year old daughter, 3 dogs and 1 chick. My biggest hurdle is finding time to get things done. I'm a maintenance tech at a nearby industrial food plant where my schedule has me working 6 days and 50+ (sometimes ++) hours a week. Wife also works and daughter has a full schedule of school, extracurricular activities, and dance. Doesn't leave me much time to work on things but I make do. Right now my hobbies of woodworking, luremaking, reloading, and RC vehicles is pretty much on hold. Hopefully we'll get everything settled in our new house and get caught up soon and I can find time to start a garden and start building a shop and some shelters.

Welcome! What breeds do you want?

Welcome to BYC!! Sounds like you're a great parent, I think it's awesome that you're not only letting your daughter keep your chick but also spending precious time to make sure that Rosie is happy!! We are elated to have you here, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask :thumbsup

1620606202372.png

Welcome! What breeds do you want?
Not sure honestly. Like I said we think Rosie is a barred rock, but not 100% sure. We're just planning to have 4 to 6 hens for eggs and entertainment. At least that's the plan lol. We have a tendency to be the crazy pet people lol. At one time we had 2 adults, a baby, and 5 dogs in a 700 square foot house.😳 We had a few more that were fosters for our local animal shelter at the same time, but they were outside!

Anyway, this is Rosie. Are we close in thinking she might be a Barred Rock?

Attachments

• 20210508_130744.jpg
    20210508_130744.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 5
  • received_278969453936354.jpeg
    received_278969453936354.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom