Howdy from Jax, Fl!

Brahmas_R_Awesome

In the Brooder
Dec 11, 2017
Jacksonville, Fl
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Yes! I bought 2-day old chicks in mid-February 2017
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
(3) What breeds do you have?
Light Brahmas, Rhode Island Reds, Rock Bards, Auracanas, Black Sex Links (4 each)
(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Google
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Raising chickens, gardening, camping, and grilling
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

We are flood survivors from Louisiana now living in Northeast Florida. We have a mixed breed dog that we adopted 7 years ago that watches over our chickens. I am basically retired and love the outdoors. I love building things, researching, and am very interested in hydro/aquaponics. I enjoy sitting outside by a fire with a cold beer or a cup of coffee and watching the girls scratch and peck. They free range in a large fenced backyard and share it with our dog, Sage. She watches over them and keeps them in line. She even sleeps with them in the shed that I converted into a coop so I don't need to worry about predators!

Welcome Wagon.gif
Welcome to Backyard Chickens!

Are you going to stay in Florida?

They are great! I have been fortunate in that I bought 20 chicks and still have 20. They are very healthy it seems. Especially the Brahmas. They are my biggest and HEAVIEST! I get 13-15 eggs a day. I still have some slackers that aren't laying yet but I don't know which ones. I put a little "FRESH EGGS" sign in my front yard and I sell all that I get. I can't believe how popular fresh eggs are! I even have some folks that want to buy some of my chickens for meat. I'm considering raising some just for meat for sale.

Back
Top Bottom