Howdy From Texas . . .

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TexasWineGuy, Jun 15, 2019.

1. TexasWineGuy

TexasWineGuy Chirping

Jun 15, 2019
    Magnolia, TX
    Howdy All,

Juts got registered here - due to my crazy brother giving my 10 year old daughter her birthday present today - a "Red Bark II" chicken coop & run. Yeah. Seriously.

He's fairly new to chickens also, maybe 6 months. His first 7 hens got eaten during the daytime hours, most likely by a Bobcat or Fox. We're NW of the Houston area in a fairly rural area.

My daughter and I have been DISCUSSING the possibility of getting a few hens at some point, so it looks like my brother just accelerated that notion. I'll be assembling the coop in the next day or two, but I absolutely do want to build a decent sized run, as I don't believe in keeping the animals, - that cooped up. The packaging on the Red Barn II say this can house 5-7 hens, which I think is abuse.

My brother is going to give us 2 or 3 young (~4 months old) Americana hens to get us started.

We have a LOT to learn about these critters, but are really looking forward to the amazing quality of "farm" eggs that we used to get from my brother. I can hardly eat the store bought ones anymore after being "ruined" by my brother's eggs.

So, soon we assembly the Coop, then I need to get started on some type of Run design, but it's got to have some netting (or other cover) on the top so the wild predators don't eat our hens.

I also need to get a better understanding on their feed, as the opinions out there on the web are wide an greatly varied on feeding.

Please feel free to throw suggestions at us to help with this endeavor.

Thanks for any help.

TWG

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Double check the measurements of your coop...you should have at least 4 square feet per bird on the inside part.

3. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!
    You might like to check out the Texas thread, over on the "Where am I, Where are you!" forum. Here's a link to the thread:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/texas.44/unread

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

Melky, fldiver97, sourland and 10 others like this.
  4. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens as said before 4 square feet per bird in the coop then chicken math takes over :gig:wee

Melky, fldiver97, SunHwaKwon and 9 others like this.
  5. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Free Ranging

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello,:frow and a warm welcome to Backyard Chickens! It's great to have you here with us!

Melky, fldiver97, sourland and 9 others like this.
  6. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join our wonderful community! :welcome

7. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

Melky, fldiver97, sourland and 7 others like this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens, the pulse beat of the chicken community :jumpy:jumpy

Melky, fldiver97, sourland and 5 others like this.
  9. ocap

ocap Crowing

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    welcome !!!
    do an internet search on electric fencing that keeps out coyotes, that fence will keep your neighbors dogs "happy" and "healthy".

Melky, fldiver97, sourland and 6 others like this.
  10. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Good luck with your future flock! I think that when those fabricated coops say hold 5 to 7, they mean the smaller chicken breed's. The larger the breed of the chicken is, the more room that it need's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: