Howdy From Texas . . .

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TexasWineGuy, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Unicornlife3316

Unicornlife3316 Songster

Apr 21, 2018
    Bryan, TX

Heyyyyy welcome!! I’m also in Texas and the NW Houston area, but in a Bryan LOL everything south of Dallas is NW Houston to some :)

Good luck with your girls!

2. cheekychick3

cheekychick3 Songster

Apr 30, 2019
    WEST WALES UK.
    Hi and :welcome you will learn loads, and everyone is friendly. Think your brother
    bought the best birthday present ever, your daughter will love her new pets.
    Bless her. :frow

3. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    awesopme.jpg

You will love the hens!

It will give your Son some chores to do each day too

4. TexasWineGuy

TexasWineGuy Songster

Jun 15, 2019
    Magnolia, TX
    Thanks to all for the welcome!

Here's the COOP that we will be assembling. As I said in the OP, I plan to get my daughter started with 2 hens. Once I get a Run built, I will consider adding one or two more. I want to be very conservative with their living quarters - plenty of room.

I'm also hoping to make the Coop and the Run mobile so I can change locations to give them some fresh grass to live on.

My daughter loves the fact that the Americana's lay blue eggs!

TWG

5. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    fldiver97, sourland, ronott1 and 5 others like this.
  6. rjohns39

rjohns39 Wrangler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

fldiver97, sourland, ronott1 and 6 others like this.
  7. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome to our FUNomenal community! :celebrate Best wishes and have lots of fun! :wee

8. Wee Farmer Sarah

Wee Farmer Sarah Free Ranging

Hello and welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our community. I think once you put that little coop together you'll understand why more than two adult sized chickens would not fit comfortably. Check out the coop construction threads here and look into chicken tractors. Sounds like that is more what you are interested in. And, good call. Start with those two chickens and get some experience before getting in too deep too fast. Best of luck with your new chicken adventures.

9. TexasWineGuy

TexasWineGuy Songster

Jun 15, 2019
    Magnolia, TX
    Wee,

Bingo. Yes, I plan on making some type of tractor assembly for the Coop, and I also plan on building a Run that is light enough to be portable. I really do not want to jam these animals into a small space.

Funny - my barber , an old country, old lady, has about a dozen hens. She sells eggs at her shop. Nice. When I asked her a few questions about keeping laying hens her response was, "Don't piss them off or they will stop laying."

That begged the question, "How do you piss off a chicken". I could clearly see that this conversation was about to get very interesting..

Her response (I will abbreviate...) was, "do not crowd them, do not spook them, keep their coop clean, and most important don't feed them junk. They need a high quality diet to lay eggs, and a better quality diet to lay lots of eggs."

I believe her, so I will continue to do our research.

Many thanks to all who have welcomed us here. Looking forward to some high quality farm eggs!

TWG

10. TexasWineGuy

TexasWineGuy Songster

Jun 15, 2019
    Magnolia, TX

Cheeky,

Greeting from across the Pond!

I don't consider these as "pets". They're "Production"!

TWG ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: