hubbard squash?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Nov 8, 2009.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I got one . . . lol, now what do I do with it? most odf the stuff I can find on the internet gives the basic brown sugar/ butter bake it directions. I want something different . . . any suggestions?
    I make pie from my pumpkins
    sausage and Butternut Squash casserole
    and now a wonderful cheese and bacon Acorn Squash bake thanks to FaykokoWV's recipe
    what should I do with a Hubbard?
    going to have to experiment tonight if no one comes through for me . . .

2. garp94

garp94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    New York
    So what did you do with it?

I love it baked [split, seeded, and covered], then sprinkle a little nutmeg on it. It's MUCH better than cinnamon and brown sugar. If it's dry I sometimes add butter, but it doens't always need it.

Hubbard and kobucha are my favorite winter squash

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    lol! I haven't done ANYTHING with it yet . . . other than look at it! I decided to save it for Thanksgiving and am planning on using it in faykoko's acorn squash recipe. It's VERY large so I thought I would scoop it out and bake it in a casserol dish for a new "sweet potato" taste on the table. [​IMG]

4. rachaelc

rachaelc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Newberg
    Try it with minced fresh ginger sauteed in butter ,squeeze of lime juice and then drizzle of honey.
    add it into marinara suce to sweeten it uptoo.
    I also coooked some squash up in red lentils and curry seasoning (onions,garlic,tomates,carrots,potatos) a bit of coconut milk(canned) yummy soup or meal if you top it on rice.
    Rachael c-mother of all

5. slightlyscrambled

slightlyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    I've heard they are really good grilled? I have one also but havent tried it yet.

6. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I roast mine, meat side down on a baking sheet until tender. Then I top with butter, salt, and pepper. Mmmmmmmm!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by