Hubby says no to moving them outside

B66DE12C-3D0E-4C4B-B20A-DEB14D300FA8.jpeg

Here’s the current situation. The two polish (?) were being a bit mean to the littles so we out in the wire divider. I think the two can go outside, but again, we aren’t sure of the age as the person that gave to us didn’t know either.

I've put mine outside in their own run at around four weeks of age but I'd wait until at least six to move them with the big birds. This is an excellent opportunity though to put them in a pen within sight of the big birds. This will give them all time to familiarize themselves with each other and make the transition into the big coop much easier. At around 6-7 weeks old I move the babies into the big coop at night while everyone is asleep.

This is the brooder coop I use. I lock them into the mini-coop at night.

1596288932818.png

2C94E334-FD49-42FB-BCE6-650C746EDF38.jpeg
452EA8C3-B8C6-4FD5-A5BD-F66A73BFE3AD.jpeg

This is the outside situation. There are two EE in this section that were also given to us and I was thinking of sectioning off part for the 2 polish. We also have 7 bigger girls that mostly free range unsupervised. At night, they go in the run and coop to the right (painted portion).

Also, when you put them outside you will potentially be exposing them to disease causing bacteria. So waiting longer will help them become stronger. Also, while you wait take some dirt from the chicken run or area where they’ll be and toss it in the cage or brooder with them a few times a week to help them to slowly get exposed to the bacteria in the soil and build up immunity to whatever germs may be in there.
Some choose medicated feed prior to and during the process of them being outside at a young age, mainly to prevent cocci (SP?). However the medicated feed doesn’t allow for natural immunity to develop just simply blocks the component in the chickens body that the germ needs to live inside their gut. What I did was just feed them starter feed that has the good bacteria in the feed, Nutrina Nature Starter feed is what I use as r label states what good micro bacterial enzymes are in the feed to help keep their digestive systems in balance with the good bacteria so that the bad bacteria will have a harder time surviving.

So far this has worked for me, but everyone’ssituation is different.Take all the info provided here, pick and choose what will work best for you, discard the stuff that won’t, make you a sammich out if the stuff that will work and enjoy raising chickens! Good luck!

The polish also look a bit young, Maybe 4 weeks of age. I would try to integrate your 2 sets of younger ones together first, then integrate them all as a group when they are all much bigger and all fully feathered. Polish tend to get picked on by other birds, so there is some safety in numbers.
Agree with the look, don’t touch method for the first several weeks. Maybe start by having them in a separate area where they can see each other during the day, bringing them in at night, for the first several weeks. Good luck. 😊

View attachment 2271593View attachment 2271595
This is the outside situation. There are two EE in this section that were also given to us and I was thinking of sectioning off part for the 2 polish. We also have 7 bigger girls that mostly free range unsupervised. At night, they go in the run and coop to the right (painted portion).
It looks like you already have a separate run area, is that your Rooster? That looks like an ideal place if you covered it. Even blue jays or crows will take chick.
Anyway, an idea now is to give them a box or something to go in at night in their brooder and give up the artificial heat source. Put some bedding inside. Train them to go in at night by putting them in their box. They won't like it at first. But this prepares them to be in outdoor temps and where to go to get warm. And you can move the box outside with them to until they're integrated into the flock. Summer and into fall is your perfect time to get them 70's is not going to harm them.
If you set the box open on it's side, pull the side flaps out and rest the top flap on them, add some tape to hold it and it makes a nice little porch. The bottom flap can be pulled up/in to close the entrance when you put them in. You can kind of see it here. I kept puttimg them in even once they were outside until they went in on their own. 0523200627d.jpg

You know,...

I don't know if this is partly affecting your decision together or not.

But many people here and on youtube have figured out how to rig up shelters for poultry quite cheap. 'The chicken tractor', and other types of devices. Some even have some good security. And you can find a few that are people competing to see how sturdy they can make it while competing for the lowest cost.

I wondered if this kind of thing is affecting your decision together on it. You don't have to answer, but times are tight for a lot of people right now so you should know if there's an issue we can help you to work it out without disagreeing with the family members.

Back
Top Bottom