Hubby tried to kill my hen...*Semi long story*

It was an accident but still!
My poor Winter:

Is just not allowed a break with anything...
She is my very last Show hen since my male Silkie roo went on a killing spree and scalped my hens, she was the only survivor, and the only one left of my show birds. T_T
So...I gave her some friends after Steve became soup.
My Cochin Mr. Bo-Bo, and then a hen i found at a funeral, a seabrite named Betty.
Betty promptly beat the living day lights out of poor Winter :(
So I separated her. And she promptly got depressed and stopped eating *huf"
So, i got her some friends! Partridge, Flakes, and Frost.
Well, eventually they had to come out of my basement. So two days ago I put them outside, back in with Betty as a trial run.
Turns out she learned her lesson from my rescue hens :D It seems as though Salt, ebony, and Cinnamon put her in her place thankfully! So Winter was fine and happy as could be.
Well, on Friday it was raining non stop, windy and muddy. So of course Winter was out in the run scratching up mud puddles as she used to love doing. She was soaked to the skin, her head poof shellacked to her head like some bad hair day. But she was happy! Cooing and cheeping and pecking away at what she thought was the best dang thing ever.
Well...that night the wind picked up and it rained on and off, and it hit bellow 20 degrees which caused the rain to freeze, and then what didn't freeze caused the top part of the ground to freeze...
I made the mistake of asking DH to close the birds in for the night...
Winter has to be put in the coop at night, as she has this bad habit of sleeping under the coop...
Hubby knows this, but forgot to check...
I had a feeling I should have checked, I knew I should have checked...
I woke up around 5-5:30 Am due to how bad the wind and looked out the window. I don't know what caused me to look down towards the coop, but in the pre dawn light, I could just make out a small white fluff ball pressed against the welded wire fence under the coop.
I freaked...
In a dazed, half asleep haze I sped threw the house and stumbled outside and raced to my coop...
Poor Winter, was FROZEN to the ground....
I wish I was kidding or over exaggerating...
I had to pull the stones off of her frozen wings and feat, as I was doing so I felt her wings melting on my hand.
She had feathers stuck to her beak from where it had frozen to her chest, rocks were frozen to her feet and her feathers...
I picked her up and squished her to my chest feeling her frozen wings melt and all the poor thing could do was shiver! so like a crazy mad woman in my PJ's I ran back to the house and went to the basement.
I wrapped her in a warm blanket...and brought her to bed.
The warmest thing in the house was my hubby, so guess who got a cold foot on the back as a wake up call.
I kicked him off his pillow and gave it to Winter.
Shortly after DH tried to role over on her...The poor thing T_T
So like a champ I put her on my chest and let her shiver under her blankets. She stayed there until 9:30 almost 10.
She was a bit mortified sharing her "nest" with a greyhound and two people once she came to and realized what was going on. But she stayed there, cooing contently under her blankets, poking her head out every now and then to check on me.
Thankfully, she warmed right up, and it looks like her toes are all frost bite free! Woot!
She was so sweet, around 9:30 she poked her head out and gently poked me in the cheek to wake me up.
She hung out in the bathroom while I got ready, then had some scrambled eggs with me. :D
I ended up putting her back out with everyone, and she is back to happily scratching about.
I just have to watch her carefully and make sure she is in the coop at night.
I can not believe my hubby, I'm just glad my poor baby is still alive!
She has been threw to much to die frozen to the ground T_T
Oh Hubby heard a few things from me...

But yes, I thought you would all enjoy hearing how I brought a chicken to bed and poor Winters third near death experience the poor thing.

clap.gif
Yay! Wow winter is one lucky girl! Loved your story.... only because it has a happy ending! Would have been scary to wake up to a dead chook in bed!!

clap.gif
Yay! Wow winter is one lucky girl! Loved your story.... only because it has a happy ending! Would have been scary to wake up to a dead chook in bed!!

Oh I woke up every few minuets to make sure she was ok! If she had died I would made hubby suffer...
I was so happy there was a happy ending myself T_T

Who says silkies aren`t tough??????Go Winter.I have silkies to and one got left outside one night last fall and she made it through the night, imagine my surprise when I walked by my window with my first cup of coffee and seen my little silkies outside in the run!I ran outside in my jammies and scooped her up and she looked at me like what are you doing?She was fine I was shaking cause I was cold and scared for her.They are a lot tougher than peaple think.

Who says silkies aren`t tough??????Go Winter.I have silkies to and one got left outside one night last fall and she made it through the night, imagine my surprise when I walked by my window with my first cup of coffee and seen my little silkies outside in the run!I ran outside in my jammies and scooped her up and she looked at me like what are you doing?She was fine I was shaking cause I was cold and scared for her.They are a lot tougher than peaple think.

Exactly!! My Silke is a tough little bugger and from the sounds of it so is yours :D
At least yours didn't have to battle rain ^^;
Poor Winter lived true to her name, she survived lol!

I'm so glad she's O.K. You are a good chicken mom, just need to work on DH now
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom