hubby's the one having trouble with chicken math

TinaSwarr

Songster
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
let me explain a little, I had 1 slw last year that I really liked, and as luck would have it the hawk got that one... so this year I set up the brooder weeks ago just waiting till i came across some slw's...well I found them last week and got 3 of them and 3 production red.....Told hubby it was enough because of space in the coop..........well here is the part where he was the weak one....he went to tsc yesterday with the grandkids (3yr and 5yr) and came home with 3 more reds and 3 that I cannot identify I think they are bantam silkies will post pictures later.... well anyway when I reminded him that I do not have the space, all he said was the kids made him do it....

We did that same thing except we were only gonna get 5 hens just for the girls to pick up eggs but then i found a rooster that i liked so we got him and then i went and got 14 chicks be cause i wanted some BO's then her decides he wanted a few more Marans hens so we got 3 more and a Marans rooster then our feed store had EE's and My BO's are turning out mostly Roos so
I got some BO pullets so that was 14 more and then the feed store got in the top hat chicks so I got two of them and a frizzle just for kicks so we build a second coop and run and now he is outside building me a silkie pen so I can go pick up two silkie chicks this afternoon so we are both pretty bad at Math LOL so we have 44 right now

Too funny!!!! When i started wanting chickens my hubby wanted only 3, I convinced him to let me get at least 4. The day before they arrived he went to TSC and came home with 2 ducks. Said that they were too cute to resist. One week later - at Orschlens - we came home with 2 more ducks. So now we have 4 of each. His chicken math turned into duck math. But, because of that - he's more excited to finish the coop and run! I love it when the spouse comes around and starts enjoying them as much as you do!

Awww I'm the other way around. I wanted to get new spring chicks and the feed store had a minimum of 6. Hubby INSISTS that I can get no more than 4 (already have three hens). So I bought the six but now he says I have to give away two of them! I had more in mind to get a few more and maybe some ducks! Lol!

Little does he know I'm building a coop big enough for at least 12 birds! LOL!

Maybe he'll come around?

But if he decides I can keep all six then I'm going back for some EE's! :)

Either way I would be over the moon if my hubby up an came home with chicks or ducks! He's not there yet. Just the opposite.

Not only do I not have room for the extra six, three of them are silkie bantams,(good excuse to build another coop). But my daughter bought me a incubator that of course needs to be tested, so i set 15 of my barnyard mixes this morning....I see some serious building of coops in my near future. so my count right now is 14 hens , 1 rooster. (coop is built to hold 20 birds comfortably) 12 chicks in brooder (3 of which are bantams). and 15 eggs in incubator due to hatch on easter. luckily I have a very large run area now .

lol We started out with me bugging DH for chickens. Years went by....
Mothers day last year we were at the feed store for dog items.... saw the chickens... DH caved!
I came home with 6. That meant I needed a coop. I did the pricing and DH got a new shed so I could convert the existing one. 3 months later we added 4 more. Had to build a second coop.
Now I have 8 in the brooder making a grand total of 18 (and counting
hide.gif
)

Now my daughter is getting into the chicken math, she was visiting the other day and fell in love with the little silkie bantams in the brooder, and when I came home from work last night I had to stand in front of the brooder and rub my eyes ( I was tired) I saw many more chicks than there should have been..... she went and bought more chicks.....I now have in the brooder.......3 slw....6 red pullets.....7 banty silkies....and 2 meat birds ( she didn't know).......Really what am I gonna do with all these my coop is only designed to hold 16 and it allready has 14...........and I forgot I still have 14 eggs in incubator and so far only 1 looks like it might be a dud..
th.gif
sure hope craigslist has some free building materials

Darn that chicken math. I am a newbie, and after reading every bit of material I could find concerning raising chickens and studying the breeds, I placed my first order. I just had to have Silkies, 3 or 4 would be fine. But of course, I had to order 25 from the hatchery as that was their minimum for bantams. Upon opening the box and dipping tiny beaks into water for the first time, we counted 28 chicks. As adorable as they were I knew I didn't need 25 so a young couple that loves raising bantams took all but six. Within a couple hours, we were hooked and decided a trip to the feed store was in order in case they had some other breeds. Fresh eggs sure would be nice and there in the brooders were adorable chicks begging to go home with us. Two each of Buff Orpingtons, Australops, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Golden Laced Wyandottes and EE's made the trip home and were added to the brooder. A few days later, I needed to pick up some feed and of course had to look into the brooders at the store. There in a huge brooder were 2 tiny bantam chicks, all by themselves. I convinced the manager that she could sell me the two lonely chicks and not a six chick minimum. Yeah for will power! I probably would have caved and purchased more chicks if she hadn't given in. Those little guys are d'Uccle's.

So I wanted 3 or 4 chicks.
In one day I had 28, then down to 6 and then back up to 16.
Couple days later up to 18.
Oh, did I mention that I have an order for 16 chicks arriving in July?

The fun has begun and I LOVE it!!!

Back
Top Bottom