Hudson Valley NY *chat thread*

Quote:
Thank you ~ She cleans up nice lol And I'm glad you enjoyed the sambuca! Let me know when ya want a refill ;-) BTW...when I click on "quote" to respond to messages, I get a whole bunch of weird stuff like : p>< This has been happening for almost a week. I wonder if it's my computer or BYC....?? Is this happening to you also? Anyway...where are you finding these chicken connections in Craigslist?

Thank you ~ She cleans up nice lolAnd I'm glad you enjoyed the sambuca! Let me know when ya want a refill ;-)BTW...when I click on "quote" to respond to messages, I get a whole bunch of weird stuff like :

Type in Craigs List Hudson Valley, then click on 'farm and garden' ....

Hi, I'm popping in from over at the NY Chicken Lover's thread at the suggestion of Coupe and LSzajko to introduce myself and say Hi.

To rehash my introductions from the New Members area, my husband and I live in Phoenicia with our Bernese Mountain Dog Baxter and 2 cats.

I have no chickens yet but am planning a flock for next spring. I'm interested in getting a mixed flock (for egg color variety and fun) of Wyandottes, Black Copper Marans, Wheaten Ameraucanas, and Welsummers. My sister in Vermont has a large flock of Buff Orpingtons. My husband and I work full-time (no kids) so although we built a lovely coop about 10 years ago, we hesitated actually getting a flock started because we were afraid we could not get home in time to lock them up securely each evening. We have since built a 7-foot fence for our dogs around a large portion of our yard containing the coop area, so my sister is encouraging me to finally get some hens. We'll also build a small attached run for the coop this fall/winter. My property borders a huge tract of NY State Forest Preserve in the Catskills and we have a lot of predators, especially bears. I figure a lot of you from Upstate NY are dealing with the same and hope to learn a lot from you.

When the time comes next winter/spring, I'd be interested in obtaining chicks locally for pickup, if possible. (I consider within a 2-3 hour drive to be somewhat local).

I look forward to seeing pics of your birds and coops! (I love Cayuga ducks too, but we have no pond, so chickens seem to be the easier option - but ducks are just too cute).

--Terry

Last edited:
I promised Terry i would post pics of my chickens! so here are a ton of pics..hopefully this works because this is the first time im posting pics from the computer and not my cell phone lol. Most of my Silver laced Wyandottes are young, so their lacing is not fully developed.

for some reason my Muscovy pics wont load :(

Hi, I'm popping in from over at the NY Chicken Lover's thread at the suggestion of Coupe and LSzajko to introduce myself and say Hi.

To rehash my introductions from the New Members area, my husband and I live in Phoenicia with our Bernese Mountain Dog Baxter and 2 cats.

I have no chickens yet but am planning a flock for next spring. I'm interested in getting a mixed flock (for egg color variety and fun) of Wyandottes, Black Copper Marans, Wheaten Ameraucanas, and Welsummers. My sister in Vermont has a large flock of Buff Orpingtons. My husband and I work full-time (no kids) so although we built a lovely coop about 10 years ago, we hesitated actually getting a flock started because we were afraid we could not get home in time to lock them up securely each evening. We have since built a 7-foot fence for our dogs around a large portion of our yard containing the coop area, so my sister is encouraging me to finally get some hens. We'll also build a small attached run for the coop this fall/winter. My property borders a huge tract of NY State Forest Preserve in the Catskills and we have a lot of predators, especially bears. I figure a lot of you from Upstate NY are dealing with the same and hope to learn a lot from you.

When the time comes next winter/spring, I'd be interested in obtaining chicks locally for pickup, if possible. (I consider within a 2-3 hour drive to be somewhat local).

I look forward to seeing pics of your birds and coops! (I love Cayuga ducks too, but we have no pond, so chickens seem to be the easier option - but ducks are just too cute).

--Terry
Nice to e-meet you Terry~

We got our chickens in March. We have 13 various breeds. So far it has been a lot of fun. The predator possibilities are pretty scary, though. Do you actually see bears on your property? We've heard coyotes and owls in the woods and I'm sure fox, coyotes and raccoons lurk at night, but I haven't seen any evidence near the coop although a skunk sprayed at something early Monday morning..(so glad it wasn't the dogs!) Deer are just a given around here, of course, and hawks are always hovering but so far nothing has taken any of our chickens. The dogs may help deter the hawks when the chickens are out free-ranging otherwise they're locked up in their run while we're at work. We live in New Windsor so the area is fairly developed except for the woods behind our house and across the road from us which is Stewart Airport's buffer property.

We bought our chickens from Tractor Supply and The Natural Pet Center and acquired 2 orpingtons (a black and a blue <~~ who turned out to be a roo!) from someone way up in Connecticut towards NH who my husband found on Craigslist but I'm pretty sure I saw in an earlier post that Lexi, Laura and possibly ny mason know some local people they've dealt with so you may not have to drive too far when the time comes to start your flock
yippiechickie.gif

Take care,
Lisa

I promised Terry i would post pics of my chickens! so here are a ton of pics..hopefully this works because this is the first time im posting pics from the computer and not my cell phone lol. Most of my Silver laced Wyandottes are young, so their lacing is not fully developed.

WOW Lexi~ They're all beautiful !! What kind of chicken is in the 1st picture?

Wow, what a beautiful flock, Lexi! Handsome rooster. There is something really striking about the combo of white/black feathers and red combs on the silver-laced, as well as your hamburgs. How old are your Wyandottes now? Thanks for sharing the pics.

Back
Top Bottom