Huge abscess with scab

caldwell_A

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2022
I noticed my Rooster’s neck feathers were sticking out all weird last night on the roost bar. I caught him this morning before leaving the coop and found a huge swollen abscess with a scab on top. The swelling is warm to the touch and the scab has a spot that’s actively bleeding like he’d just been pecked before I got in there is morning. All his feathers around it have fallen out. My poor guy! Any recommendations? Everything I’m seeing says epsom salt, bath, and antibacterial soap on the actual wound.

Attachments

• 17097617-95B4-46B8-B2CF-8078D6539267.jpeg
    17097617-95B4-46B8-B2CF-8078D6539267.jpeg
    445.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 8CB9DE00-95C2-4DF5-96C1-30B772A712FD.jpeg
    8CB9DE00-95C2-4DF5-96C1-30B772A712FD.jpeg
    499.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 087B7B03-8D2B-4B4D-A5AA-E9C19C079DFA.jpeg
    087B7B03-8D2B-4B4D-A5AA-E9C19C079DFA.jpeg
    502.3 KB · Views: 10
If it's a cyst, it would have fatty sebum inside and would not be rock hard. An abscess would be soft, and waxy pus would come out of it when the scab is removed and pressure applied around it. A tumor will be rock hard and will bleed if the scab is removed and pressure is applied around the center lesion where the scab is.

First step is to debride the scabby area. Apply warm compresses for twenty minutes, swapping them out as they cool. Then pull the scab off and wash well with soap and water. Then, following the guide above, determine the nature of the lesion.

If it's an infected wound, abscess, daily cleaning and pus removal is the method of treatment. Also, an oral antibiotic would be helpful.

If it's a cyst, a vet can remove it. If it's a cancer tumor, there is no treatment.

If it's a cyst, it would have fatty sebum inside and would not be rock hard. An abscess would be soft, and waxy pus would come out of it when the scab is removed and pressure applied around it. A tumor will be rock hard and will bleed if the scab is removed and pressure is applied around the center lesion where the scab is.

First step is to debride the scabby area. Apply warm compresses for twenty minutes, swapping them out as they cool. Then pull the scab off and wash well with soap and water. Then, following the guide above, determine the nature of the lesion.

If it's an infected wound, abscess, daily cleaning and pus removal is the method of treatment. Also, an oral antibiotic would be helpful.

If it's a cyst, a vet can remove it. If it's a cancer tumor, there is no treatment.
This is so incredibly helpful. Thank you!!

This is SO incredibly helpful! Thank you for all your time typing this up. It really gives me a solid plan, when I was so lost on where to even begin. Thank you!!

In addition to the info above, a cyst will "float" when manipulated while a tumor will feel "anchored" in place. An abscess will behave more like a cyst, but a cyst won't be likely to bleed, and an abscess might. There will be pus in an abscess and no pus in a tumor.

In addition to the info above, a cyst will "float" when manipulated while a tumor will feel "anchored" in place. An abscess will behave more like a cyst, but a cyst won't be likely to bleed, and an abscess might. There will be pus in an abscess and no pus in a tumor.

Attachments

• 1286988E-BEBE-44E7-8100-4E5410B1FE5D.jpeg
    1286988E-BEBE-44E7-8100-4E5410B1FE5D.jpeg
    501.6 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom